Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#741568 Wed Jan 01 2020 06:03 PM
T
trapper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So I have this Tok 39 that has some indications that it was once a Vickers Oil Co. pump. I have considered keeping it as such but am finding nothing available for repro globe or pump decals 15" x 12". I may have to re-think this brand. I may just go Texaco since it has a lot of red paint on it. any help would be appreciated. Thx

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
trapper #741580 Thu Jan 02 2020 01:38 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Owning a gas pump years was like, what brand of gas are we selling now. Owners of gas stations purchased their gasoline from a local distributers. If the distributer owned gasoline stations, the company he was buying gasoline from was on the big sign out front. So over the years things changed, this year if you owned your own station, the supplier of your gasoline signs were on your pump and the big sign. You could change suppliers, buy your gasoline from another supplier, again the pumps changed color as did the sign out front. Same with the local supplier, if he changed suppliers, he showed up with new signs and maybe an offer to repaint your pumps.
Then.....if you decided to buy new pumps, your old pumps were generally sold to a rebuilder of pumps, some of them would even repaint the old pumps. If your pump went to the seller of the new pump he would rebuild the old pump and sell it to almost anyone who could not afford to purchase a new pump.
So....now why do pumps have six or eight different layers of oil companies on them? Just go back to the beginning above.
Again, So.....what should you do. Did your uncle have an Standard station years ago? Did you buy your first gasoline from a Gulf station? Did you....well you get the idea, have fun with your pump, it doesn't matter what you restore it to. No one will ever care, if you do a good job, all they will ever say is "that is a great looking pump."

If you like looking at Tokheim 39 pump go to this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20pumps.htm

Jack and Cindy Sim (and have a great new year).

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
trapper #741587 Thu Jan 02 2020 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
We can make you any globe/decals you need.

Contact us at T-ways@email.com.

Attach a photo of the exact lenses you need and we'll get a quote to you within 24 hours.

Later . . .

Jim

Jack Sim #741588 Thu Jan 02 2020 09:23 AM
T
trapper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Jack , thanks for your wise input. I will not be repainting just clearing some of the paint off of the decals. I have a totally restored visible American 2487 that I did in 1985. I wanted a rusto look pump and this is what I came home with. Painted over decals is what I am dealing with. Pump is plated as a 39 AP-RC # 1,055,233, 1954. Vickers brand is consistent with where this pump came from in KS. I will se how it goes. You are correct with the sentimental view. I worked in a Texaco station when I was 16 for three yr. Since the pump is a red I believe Fire Cheif would work well with it being all red. I will do a little more rubbing today and ponder the notion. Pump is very straight and working on it has been very easy, must have been stored inside no rusty bolts, no mud dobbers, no traces of mice. Thanks again for your response, great to hear from a PRO. RD

Last edited by trapper; Thu Jan 02 2020 09:37 AM.
T-way #741589 Thu Jan 02 2020 09:28 AM
T
trapper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Jim, you are on my list of parts suppliers. I am still open to brand. I don't see much Vickers stuff around. It was founded in Ks 1954, in the Wichita area. I figured your co. could provide such. I have heard good things about you! (T-Way) Thanks, RD

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved