Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#741252 Fri Dec 27 2019 05:33 PM
L
OP Offline
L
This is what happens when you leave a pump apart for over 20 years before reassembling it. I have these two items which appear to be a right and left side but I don't know where they go. The pump is a Tokheim Model 39 short model L-RP I believe.
Also, is the top of the pump suppose to sit directly on the side panels? Mine do, and I am concerned that when I bolt the top down, it will bite into the side panel paint and crack it. I painted these panels 25 years ago and cleared them with lacquer paint which is quite brittle (don't ask how I know this). Any info would be much appreciated.

Tokheim Mystery parts.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
They attach to the frame rails on the outside of the side skins at the top of the pump. They are used for non hinge doors to protect the side skins and keep the door in place. Richard

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by gatorgaspumps
They attach to the frame rails on the outside of the side skins at the top of the pump. They are used for non hinge doors to protect the side skins and keep the door in place. Richard

OK, but I have hinged doors. Could they be used to make sure the hinged doors don't close against the side skins? I ask because right now the unhinged side of the doors do sit against the side skins and would rub against the panel as the door is lifted into the lock position.
Any ideas on the top sitting on the side panels? The top is actually resting on the panel and not on the frame anywhere. Also, what is that top hole for in the side panel used for?

Tokheim Top2.JPG
Last edited by Lonewolf54; Sat Dec 28 2019 09:44 AM.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have never seen them used on a hinged door. Anything you put there for protection will push the door out and you will have problems when the door tries to slide into the top stainless. You can put some rubber window channel between the top panel and the side skins. The problem when you do this is that it raises the top up and your door might not raise high enough to close. The hole is for the rod for a price box. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is your top attached to the frame correctly? They mount with a long bolt that goes down through the rail that is welded inside of the top skin/panel and then down through the top frame plate where there is a nut. If you needed to raise it ever so slightly, you could probably put a washer between the top frame plate and the welded rail in the top skin.

If I remember correctly they may also mount by four bolts that mount horizontally through small 'angle iron' shaped mounts in the four corners. The four 'angle iron' holes are slotted and you can move the top up a little so it is not touching. (however I my be thinking of a 300, I can't remember if 39 tops mounted this way also, but I believe they did). Anyway, yours is either one or the other.

You can put rubber trim molding in the space between the top skin and side panel. This will clean it up and prevent light from escaping through the seam.

The top hole was used for a pricer or advertisement banner. A round piece went down through the hole into the casting inside. Most people (including me) just plug them or fill them. A 3/4" solid metal grommet works great.

Pictured below is rubber molding on an unrestored 300 I have. The picture also shows a plugged side panel hole.

The second picture shows the part from the hardware store that I plug the holes with. You can paint them and pop them in, or weld them in. You can also use body filler on the edge to clean it up. Or as I mentioned earlier just do body work and get rid of the hole all together. (Or find a pricer for it)

-Steve

CD603DA9-87E2-46A3-A152-6702637DAFCD.jpeg 34075B0A-C4CF-466F-89A4-9F9BF9198CD1.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Dec 28 2019 08:20 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have had several Tokheim 39's and never seen a rubber gasket used between the top and side panels. No reason it wouldn't work and there are several supplies that sell "U" channeled rubber window gasket that should do the job.
There should be a small gap between the top and side panels and Speedracer's suggestion about using a washer might help but the carriage bolts that hold the top down need to fit(lock in to) in the bracket welded under the front of the top.

I am currently putting two short 39's together that use hinged doors and one has the brackets and one does not. Can't tell if they both did and one set was simply removed or never installed.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Speedracer
You can put rubber trim molding in the space between the top skin and side panel. This will clean it up and prevent light from escaping through the seam.

The top hole was used for a pricer or advertisement banner. A round piece went down through the hole into the casting inside. Most people (including me) just plug them or fill them. A 3/4" solid metal grommet works great.-Steve

Well I decided to space the top up slightly with shims and that seemed to work. I noticed the picture you show of the hole plug on the unrestored pump seems to have a rubber gasket between the top and side panel. I'll wait to see if much light escapes before deciding if that is needed. Thanks for the info on the hole plug as well.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Hardy's Garage
I am currently putting two short 39's together that use hinged doors and one has the brackets and one does not. Can't tell if they both did and one set was simply removed or never installed.

I can't figure out where the brackets would actually mount and do any good. You have any pictures showing where to mount them?

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I have done a few short 39's. Both hinge and lift off doors. The lift off doors has 4 of those brackets , up toward the top just below the chrome piece. The hinge doors have only 2 , mounted just below the chrome piece but only on the side opposite the hinge . When the door gets closed and the lever is pushed that locks the door , ( the door is lifted a bit ) and that bracket catches the door lip .

old dog #741387 Sun Dec 29 2019 10:52 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by old dog
I have done a few short 39's. Both hinge and lift off doors. The lift off doors has 4 of those brackets , up toward the top just below the chrome piece. The hinge doors have only 2 , mounted just below the chrome piece but only on the side opposite the hinge . When the door gets closed and the lever is pushed that locks the door , ( the door is lifted a bit ) and that bracket catches the door lip .

Does it mount to the upper most bolt that hold the side panel to the frame or do they bolt somewhere else?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Attached is a picture of the left hand clip fastened to the pump frame. Right hand clip goes the same way. Never had a 39 with lift off doors but Lonewolf54's explanation certainly makes sense.

DSC00979.JPG
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Hardy's Garage
Attached is a picture of the left hand clip fastened to the pump frame. Right hand clip goes the same way. Never had a 39 with lift off doors but Lonewolf54's explanation certainly makes sense.

OK, I think I have it now. Thanks.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I use automotive door edge guard for that.

Screenshot_20200101-113159_Gallery.jpg
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Blair Underwood
I use automotive door edge guard for that.

Now there's an interesting idea. I like that! Thanks.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Please note that the clip in my last photo is fasten as shown to the frame but on the outside of the side panel. My apologies if this was not clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved