Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#741250 Fri Dec 27 2019 05:10 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Not sure where to post this, I'm sure mods will move it if needed. I have been selling things on Craigslist for many years. I know that when I post an ad I will quickly get responses from scammers, it's just the way it goes, but have never had any issues here on Oldgas. I posted an item for sale here yesterday and very quickly got a pm from a new member saying they would like to buy it. Membership status is "new" but it shows that they joined in 2018. 0 posts to date. I figured I would do my diligence and pm'd back my phone number and asked that they call me. My message has not been read , no phone call. I won't out them at this time unless a mod says it's ok as it may be totally innocent, but I have a suspicion that scammers may be sniffing around here. Just wanted to warn everyone to keep your guard up. Maybe this has been going on for a while but it's a first for me here on Oldgas

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
ironheadtom #741269 Sat Dec 28 2019 08:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would add my 2 cents. I know the internet world can be shady and Oldgas is a refuge of integrity for me. I would hate to see any “invasion” of scammers. I do not know what could be done but I would hope that such activity would never find its way into this domain.

ironheadtom #741271 Sat Dec 28 2019 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by ironheadtom
Not sure where to post this, I'm sure mods will move it if needed. I have been selling things on Craigslist for many years. I know that when I post an ad I will quickly get responses from scammers, it's just the way it goes, but have never had any issues here on Oldgas. I posted an item for sale here yesterday and very quickly got a pm from a new member saying they would like to buy it. Membership status is "new" but it shows that they joined in 2018. 0 posts to date. I figured I would do my diligence and pm'd back my phone number and asked that they call me. My message has not been read , no phone call. I won't out them at this time unless a mod says it's ok as it may be totally innocent, but I have a suspicion that scammers may be sniffing around here. Just wanted to warn everyone to keep your guard up. Maybe this has been going on for a while but it's a first for me here on Oldgas

I'm confused . Where is the scam? He didn't reply , happens to me all the time , many times here.
I just move on to the next guy.
He may surprise you with a reply and an explanation.
Maybe he doesn't like phone calls?
Not trying to be a problem , I'm wanting to know how to identify a scam.

It's for sale #741273 Sat Dec 28 2019 10:01 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

I'm confused . Where is the scam? He didn't reply , happens to me all the time , many times here.
I just move on to the next guy.
He may surprise you with a reply and an explanation.
Maybe he doesn't like phone calls?
Not trying to be a problem , I'm wanting to know how to identify a scam.
[/quote]

There's so much going on these days it's hard to articulate but if you're interested you can google craigslist scams and there's a lot of info out there. Most sellers can tell you that when you place an ad, as soon as the ad goes live you start getting text messages that say things like " I would like to buy your item " . You can usually tell right away because there's just enough broken English to give it away. I just block the number and move on. If I suspect they're legit, I ask them to call and have found that real buyers never have a problem with that. I worked for a guy that took a 14k payment for something via credit card that started out like this. I kept telling him this is a scam but he took it anyway. It was all done via email. A day or two after making payment they emailed back saying they used the wrong credit card and wanted him to return the payment and they would send out another payment on a different card. He hadn't shipped the product yet , and was starting to wise up so he didn't do the refund and sat on the money...still trying to process in his mind what was happening. In just a few days he started getting calls from credit card companies and and I don't remember exactly which branch but law enforcement was involved also. Stolen credit cards. The next week was a nightmare for him trying to resolve it all . My wife works at a bank and you guys would not believe how many people fall for stuff like this. Anyway, I'm not saying I got scammed but I think Oldgas is now big enough that they may be trying here. The PM I got said " I would like to buy this" . The profile is very vague and again, new member that signed up a year ago with no posts. I may be wrong, but my discernment tells me something may be up.

Stephenwarren30 #741274 Sat Dec 28 2019 10:05 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stephenwarren30
I would add my 2 cents. I know the internet world can be shady and Oldgas is a refuge of integrity for me. I would hate to see any “invasion” of scammers. I do not know what could be done but I would hope that such activity would never find its way into this domain.

I agree and that's why I thought it was important to say something. It's easy to be comfortable here and I'd hate for someone to get taken

ironheadtom #741278 Sat Dec 28 2019 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
According to your logic then,all the girls I've met in Bars over the years would call me a scammer. smile

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Stephenwarren30 #741280 Sat Dec 28 2019 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Stephenwarren30

I spend hundreds of hours per year checking out new members before they are initially activated, trying to make this site safer than CraigsList, Facebook and other wide open venues. But there is no way for me to completely assure that they won't be poor communicators or slow to follow through. If you have suspicions about a member, please send me a PM message with the details and I'll check it out. Always advisable to keep your guard up with people you don't know well, no matter where you are.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
ironheadtom #741284 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There have been cases before where a member that has never used the "PM" function, does not realize what the blinking icon is for.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
ironheadtom #741286 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to mention, I myself have responded to a post and then didn't sign back in for a few weeks to follow up. It's very common

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
ironheadtom #741289 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:37 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Check his profile and you can tell when he was "last seen" on OldGas.

Cold Pizza #741290 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Cold Pizza
According to your logic then,all the girls I've met in Bars over the years would call me a scammer. smile

Ha ha ha

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Cold Pizza #741291 Sat Dec 28 2019 12:53 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Cold Pizza

Quit inviting them to see your black light poster collection!

Last edited by ironheadtom; Sat Dec 28 2019 12:53 PM.
ironheadtom #741800 Mon Jan 06 2020 05:14 PM
Interesting. I deal on craigslist a lot for motorcycle parts and complete motorcycles. About two years ago I responded to a "local" Green Bay CL ad for a cycle I was looking to buy, especially since it was a great price on a good looking bike. But the odd price , $1129, and limited description should have raised flags. Also, the bike description didn't quite fit the picture, should have raised more flags. I emailed the "seller" for more info, to find she was in OK and the bike was in Davenport IA, crated and ready to ship and sell through Ebay (to protect me, yeah sure). I told the seller if the bike is as good a deal as the price and pictures indicate I'd drive down to Davenport with cash and truck to pick it up, so set up a place/time for me to see the bike.

Ha,...no replies after that. But,....I soon was getting all sorts of emails for products and sellers I had never requested or contacted. So the reason for this post is; the seller only wanted my email/contact info to sell. For the past two years I constantly get more emails from all sorts of online sellers. Perhaps the same thing is happening here if this forum.

Another clue: do a Google search of the CL ad picture itself. Just right mouse click on the picture and select Google Search. I did that for the bike for which I had contacted the seller, and found the exact same picture in several other CL ads around the midwest, well over 500 miles away, with different details, different prices, different contact details. I even found the exact same picture on an ad for a bike on Ebay, again with different info and contact info. So the CL scammer just picked a random picture of the bike off the net (and it was not a factory original picture), created false details about it, and posted it waiting for the fish (me) to take the bait.

Love motorcycles, got eleven right now, dealing on others. Looking for a 1948 to 1954 Jawa 350 Twin.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved