Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#740837 Fri Dec 20 2019 03:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I was watching a documentary on the Vietnam war and noticed this photo of the city of Hue. I am not an expert and so I was hoping to receive some guidance on this. Here is my question for discussion. Was Esso more prevalent in Vietnam or were there other brands with just as much presence?

Secondly, I believe that Esso was the main manufacturer of Napalm at that time. So here is another question for consideration. Was the Esso brand somehow “damaged” by its ties to Napalm and the war or are these premises truly in error? I had an uncle who operated an Esso station in East Texas in the 50s and 60s (second pic) but it seems like the presence of Esso stations began to decline. Any thoughts will be appreciated. It goes without saying how much I respect and appreciate our soldiers who served in Vietnam. Any observations from veterans who served there would be greatly appreciated as well.

5D9C14C0-8EF7-4C76-B379-CE250250C933.jpeg F2B67124-6A89-4607-8325-CC00C03669F9.jpeg
Last edited by Stephenwarren30; Fri Dec 20 2019 03:58 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe Mobiloil (makes sense with their on again off again relationship with Standard) was also pretty prevalent during that time period in much of Asia, Vietnam included. Double on the appreciation for those who served there, much respect

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I think Dow Chemical Company was the primary producer of Napalm B, used in Vietnam. Lots of student protests were staged against Dow, as the war wore on. No political statement here by me....I have the utmost gratitude for all of the men and women who have served, so we can enjoy our lives, and our freedoms in this great country. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Dec 20 2019 07:46 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved