Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#740134 Thu Dec 05 2019 09:19 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hello all,
I have just finished sanding my Tokheim 300 pump which I purchased in Ohio. I am trying to get insight to what the original gas brand may be? The top half seems to be blue and the bottom white? Looks like it could have been red on top white on the bottom at one time as well... red paint is under the blue paint. It also looks like the name plate in the front may have been square judging by the holes in the door. any guesses??

I have attached a picture for reference

Thanks in advance!

6D908C0B-0E09-4AF8-8D66-22BD66F577A9.jpeg A5AC2546-A3F1-419A-AFF6-1E647BA93E1D.jpeg
Last edited by BMCgarage; Thu Dec 05 2019 09:20 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
BMCgarage #740136 Thu Dec 05 2019 09:40 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Union 76?

BMCgarage #740140 Thu Dec 05 2019 11:27 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When stations bought new pump the old ones were usually traded in just like when you bought a new car. These used pumps were mainly sold to a business that rebuilt the pump and sold them to small stations who could not afford a new pump. These rebuilt pumps were also sold to gasoline distributers who catered to the farm trade. Many were given to the farmers provided the farmer purchased the gasoline from the distributer. Many of these pumps were not branded because the farmer was not selling the gasoline. If you want to see some pictures of your pump go to this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20pumps.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #740149 Fri Dec 06 2019 08:27 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thank You Jack, I took a lot at the link you sent me and it looks like my style pump was originally all read according to the pictures. It is odd though with my panels when I sand them down I am only finding the original red on the top half... I suppose it really does not matter I was just thinking since I am restoring the pump, it could be interesting to do it in its original branding..

Manny

BMCgarage #740162 Fri Dec 06 2019 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...it's Pure...Pure-Pep would have been the blue/white, and Pure Premium would have been red/white...you'll note the holes on the doors, for the pump signs...the attached photo (from Pinterest) is of a tin bank given away at Pure stations, designed to resemble the previous model Tokheim pump...note the color combination used...

f65dc01694067853a0daa7e7d018d860.jpg

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
BMCgarage #740166 Fri Dec 06 2019 12:27 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey that's it! Thank you for your help that's very interesting...

BMCgarage #740226 Sat Dec 07 2019 03:50 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
1. If Mobil decided to replace all the pumps at the local service stations that they owned in a certain location, they would work through a local petroleum equipment company. Since the order would be so large they would request from the pump company how they wanted the pumps painted. The pumps would be sent, usually by trains, to the equipment company. The equipment co. would remove the old pump and install the new pumps. The old pumps were usually purchased by the equipment co. where they would be rebuilt and sold to smaller stations who could not afford the new pumps.

2. If a small station, owned by an individual, needed a pump and he wanted to buy a new pump he went to the local petroleum equipment company. The equipment co. would show him the pumps he had in stock. These were all painted red. If he wanted another color, the equipment co. would repaint it for him or he would do it himself.

3. The web page you looked at almost all the pictures show the pumps painted red. This was the standard color for gasoline (green for oil and grease) etc. The pump companies in their advertising, rarely showed the pumps painted the colors of the petroleum companies unless the ad would appear in something special for just the one oil company.

4. The old used pumps were rarely painted a new color unless the customer paid extra to have it done. Many used pumps would end up on farms, having been given to the farmer because he was buying his gas from the local petroleum supplier. Since the farmer was not selling gasoline there was no need to repaint the pumps.

5. So....what color do you paint your pump? Some pumps have gone through so many changes of oil companies it is difficult to determine anything about who was the original purchaser. Did you ever work at a station? Did you uncle own a Shell station? Do you remember buying your first tank of gas at the local Texaco station? So, have fun with your pump, after it is stripped of all its coats of paint they all look alike.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Dec 07 2019 03:53 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved