Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
This unusual WISCONSIN AAA sign is mine. It will be in the big Glenn Miller auction coming up on Friday, December 6 in Tomah, Wisconsin. No bidder's premium for in-person bidders. Bid online through AuctionZip. Glenn personally packages items for shipping, and is very reasonable. Or, he’s also happy to hold purchased items for pick-up at his shop near Tomah, Wisconsin.

This is a Wisconsin Division AAA “dangler” sign. It's from the late 1930’s-early 1940’s. It is a two-sided porcelain American Automobile Association sign. It includes the original decorative iron hanging bracket. This sign as the lesser-seen “Official Service Station” wording. Good color and gloss. The top rectangle sign measures 22-1/2” by 5-1/2”. while the bottom oval sign is 22-1/2” by 16-3/4”.

Here's a link to the auction page for this unusual, very nice sign:

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/porcelain-wisconsin-aaa-official-service-station_84245FE8DB/

Thanks for looking. John

aw1.jpg aw3.jpg aw2.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks John,very nice,i will watch it .

Frank Jordan
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Thank you, Frank. If you decide to bid (15% online bidders premium), and win, I can assure you that Glenn Miller, the auction company owner, will NOT stick you on the packing and shipping charge (like some of the auction houses do). He's a long-time collector himself, and has a real sense of fair play. For example, he charges NO bidder's premium whatsoever, for bidders who attend the auction in person.

I'm told he “Official Service Station” wording is fairly unusual, but you would know that better than me. . Lots of “Emergency Service” AAA signs out there, I guess, but not “Service Station”. I purchased this sign many years ago, right off an outside wall of the Polonia Service Garage in Polonia, WI. They were an “ancient” Chevrolet dealership in that tiny town. I know it’s the real deal, since I removed it from the wall myself. I didn’t have a ladder with me, so I wound up balancing myself on top of an old discarded 55 gal. oil drum to reach this sign. Of course, the lag bolts holding the hanging bracket into the brick were seized. BUT.....as you know very well, we gas/oil collectors aren’t easily discouraged, when we’re on the trail of a neat piece. Best, John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Wed Nov 20 2019 10:52 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can relate to your "no ladder" situation,have done a few stunts like that in my younger days. As a kid I spent some time in Spooner Wisconsin where my Grand Mother lived,wonderful country.Thanks again.

Frank Jordan

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved