Next Thread
Print Thread
#739075 Sun Nov 17 2019 11:42 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Not sure who the target audience was for this short film as the information is rather simplistic and the cinematic quality somewhat low.
It is still fun and interesting to see all of the cars, stations and advertising as they once were.

https://1funny.com/the-service-stat...Sc_I6R10bGg33s_-gTOY9kI4GXiU8iMSIyCjHkNU

Last edited by Donald D. Brock; Sun Nov 17 2019 11:46 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool. I think I learned a few things too. It looks like the Flying A sign on the back of the truck at the 3:51 mark is a 5 footer. I thought I remember seeing flat 5' Flying A signs for sale on line before, but I wasn't sure if they really existed. There are real 5 footers, correct? Just curious if any else agrees on the approximate size compared to the guy, the tires, etc. Just thinking, maybe this is why we don't see them often, because they were used for trucks and not at all the stations. Thoughts?

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Obliviously this was filmed on the west coast, probably in California. Not being critical, just for informational purposes, when they were putting gasoline in cars back around the turn of the country, the gasoline was very dirty. It was necessary to have chammy in the funnel to pour the gasoline through. They even sold a special funnel that had a chammy attached to the funnel.

One other thing, my next article that will be in the December issue of "Check the Oil" will be about the Coxwell air dispensers and other things they sold for use on the island. I spotted two items made by Coxwell, one was the in ground source of air and water, and in another seen they showed a box on a post. This box was a cash drawer for making change on the island, this was also made my Coxwell.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Curious, what model Tokheim pumps were those showing the more domed shaped versus the typical 39 series.

Love motorcycles, got eleven right now, dealing on others. Looking for a 1948 to 1954 Jawa 350 Twin.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved