Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
The estate liquidator going through my father's things is baffled by this thing, and so am I.

The object in the picture is about 8 or 9 inches long. The liquidator thinks it's made of wood, but, based on its very fine 'grainy' texture, I think it's made of some kind of lightweight ceramic or clay.

I know that Brilliant Bronze Gasolene was part of the Johnson Oil Company.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? What might it be worth?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you all could share!

Brilliant Bronze thing.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
a small knife sharpening giveaway comes to mind? Of course that is based on your description (ceramic or clay)?? Just a thought.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Could it be an envelope opener??

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by coltex
a small knife sharpening giveaway comes to mind? Of course that is based on your description (ceramic or clay)?? Just a thought.

Possibly! Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Could it be an envelope opener??

It's maybe a centimeter thick and not sharp, but that was a great guess! Thank you so much!

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
It's a knife sharpener

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Tankar
It's a knife sharpener

Thank you for the input! I'm thinking that you're right.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I've had one of these Brilliant Bronze station giveaway items in my collection in the past. As some of the guys have indicated, it's definitely a knife sharpening stone. It is made of very hard stone (not ceramic or clay). The material was similar or the same as those whetstones used for sharpening a woodworking chisel or woodworking plane iron. Mine was is used condition, like yours. I wound up selling it at Iowa Gas five or six years ago. I recall it sat on my swap table for quite awhile, even though it is "Johnson-related". Probably would have sold much quicker, if it had a winged hourglass logo on it! Of course, that logo wasn't used in Brilliant Bronze marketing. I believe I sold it somewhere in the $40 to $45 range. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Sat Nov 16 2019 04:55 PM.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Jolly-John
I've had one of these Brilliant Bronze station giveaway items in my collection in the past. As some of the guys have indicated, it's definitely a knife sharpening stone. It is made of very hard stone (not ceramic or clay). The material was similar or the same as those whetstones used for sharpening a woodworking chisel or woodworking plane iron. Mine was is used condition, like yours. I wound up selling it at Iowa Gas five or six years ago. I recall it sat on my swap table for quite awhile, even though it is "Johnson-related". Probably would have sold much quicker, if it had a winged hourglass logo on it! Of course, that logo wasn't used in Brilliant Bronze marketing. I believe I sold it somewhere in the $40 to $45 range. John

Thank you so much for all this info, John! I'll let the estate liquidator know.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved