Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#738640 Sat Nov 09 2019 05:41 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I recently bought a Skelly gas globe. Both lenses are pristine as is the white globe. There’s no doubt about authenticity as I know the person I got it from and it came from his parents grocery/filling station. I just wanted to know about what they were going for. I’m trying to load an image of the actual globe it is the fed lens blue diamond white stars white glass globe. Also the age would be nice to know. I saw one lens on eBay and the seller is asking $250 which seems a bit high. Thanks in advance . I think I got the picture added it’s just one side but the whole globe is pristine.

29167A5E-6221-4374-A528-E6AEF863D535.jpeg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
OP Offline
P
No one? Really?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Well, what did you pay for it?

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
$500-$700 If there are no cracks or chips and it is complete. Now get a base for it and light it up and enjoy!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
P
OP Offline
P
I got it for 250 and I used my noggin and did a search and saw that a new old stock with a chip in the lens sold for 500 on here . Considering the one I got is perfect I would say I did pretty good.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks I’m a sign guy but I had to get it. I learned a while back there isn’t a whole lot of this stuff around the time to buy is when you see it. Thanks guys I think I did well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I turned your picture for you!
Those bodies are typically worth $300 and you can expect about $100 for each lens if they are as nice as you say!
Anything above that would be bonus money paid because someone REALLY had to have it!
And we have all done that before! LOL

Skelly.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Skelly globes like this one are reasonably common here in the upper Midwest. The lens themselves seem to be found more frequently than complete globes. So, guys buy the lenses and find a glass globe body (either original of reproduction), and a complete globe is created. Kevin's $500 thought for a complete Skelly globe like this one is about right, as I see it. However, it could bring more in other parts of the country, or from an in-person or auction buyer who doesn't have much globe knowledge, or who doesn't know "Old Gas" exists.

The original poster mentioned this Skelly globe came from the seller's parents grocery store/filling station. It always surprises me when someone sells such an old, interesting, colorful, displayable part of their family's history, like this gas pump globe. And, to gain just $250 in return. When an item like this globe is gone from the family....it's usually gone forever. Just me thinking out loud, of course. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Mon Nov 11 2019 04:49 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Jolly-John
Skelly globes like this one are reasonably common here in the upper Midwest. The lens themselves seem to be found more frequently than complete globes. So, guys buy the lenses and find a glass globe body (either original of reproduction), and a complete globe is created. Kevin's $500 thought for a complete Skelly globe like this one is about right, as I see it. However, it could bring more in other parts of the country, or from an in-person or auction buyer who doesn't have much globe knowledge, or who doesn't know "Old Gas" exists.

The original poster mentioned this Skelly globe came from the seller's parents grocery store/filling station. It always surprises me when someone sells such an old, interesting, colorful, displayable part of their family's history, like this gas pump globe. And, to gain just $250 in return. When an item like this globe is gone from the family....it's usually gone forever. Just me thinking out loud, of course. John

I agree. I tried to keep anything that my dad had even bought some back. I would give anything to have the Mobil Pegasus sign that was in front of my family’s service station. I have a picture one picture is all that’s left. Now there is a Walgreens where the station stood.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved