Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey all,

I have great news regarding these Flying A black winged signs! I spoke with the original owner of one and he is a long-time, experienced collector.

I know we were just having a discussion up above, but...

They are legit. They are real. And they are rare!

So if you come across one, grab it.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Steve...thanks for the info...this is great to know. For discussion sake...my question is were the black winged flying A signs purposefully made or some sort of a fluke...like a penny with Lincoln’s head off center?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Also...Bob...thanks for your input. It looks like you joined so that you could defend your sign. I understand...but I would invite you to indeed “come on in”. We all can learn from each other and you have helped us today. I have learned so much from the nuances of the discussions plus the formats for honest and authentic buying and selling. I really appreciate what you added to the discussion. There has been a lot of interest and consternation since Mike picked the black winged flying A sign on American Pickers. Thank you for your input and I hope that you will continue to be a part.
Steve

Online Cool
Several posts were removed from this thread at the request of two members

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Speedracer #742354 Fri Jan 17 2020 09:26 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted by Speedracer
Hey all,

They are legit. They are real. And they are rare!

So if you come across one, grab it.

-Steve

Funny thats just what Mike said when he bought the black wing sign..

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
My sign was purchased from a long time sign collector in California who found it laying on top of the roof of an old gas station in California in the 60’s-70’s. He owned it up until I acquired it. I’m a long time collector as well and only sell when I either don’t have room for something, tired of it, or want some extra money for other signs, as I’m sure most of you do. So I’m just defending my sign as anyone would.

This will make number 4 know of this sign (My sign, the one found on American Pickers 2019, the one posted in 2003 by username Dwaine Buck on oldgas, and the one username metropetro just posted from a 2003 gas show.

This sign is not being reproduced or a fantasy piece. The black wings are not painted on, they are porcelain. When it’s in your hands you can tell it is not a reproduction/fantasy piece. Nor was anyone reproducing signs this big or with die cut wings back then. The wear is also noticeable easy to tell it is authentic. The wear pattern is not consistent with the other 3 examples as you can see. If you look at any reproduction sign made they always have the same type of wear pattern. The wear also does not have the signature red rusty run streaks as most fake signs do. The amount of mounting holes are another clue, that it’s original Most repo/fantasy signs only have 2-4 holes or less. Also the color of the porcelain on the backside is similar to other original signs Flying A and Tydol have used. The quality of the porcelain and the straightness of the letters and of the wings, is also proof of an original sign. As far a rarity this is the rarest seeing how nobody has any information about it. Mine is also the best condition out of the other 3 known.

This would not be a mistake/misprint seeing that they’re 4 examples now known, they would not have made 4 signs all with the same error. Plus 4 with a so called mistake surviving till today would be astronomical odds. As someone stated “if they were mistakes they would have been trashed.” So 4 of them would not have made it out of the factory and saved.

If any of you seen it in person and could put your hands on it. I guarantee you would see that it is real deal. It would be nice to hear from the other 3 people who own one, or if there is anyone else out there with one. I hope someone can provide a photo of this sign in use, or provide more details about this sign with facts rather than just opinions/thoughts.

Here are the 4 known examples side by side:

EF6DEA98-BFF6-4093-B134-886A97E378CD.jpeg
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved