Next Thread
Print Thread
#736907 Mon Oct 07 2019 04:59 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Are these panels Porcelain on a station like this?
What would be a fair/reasonable price to offer for an entire station of these?

Screen Shot 10-07-19 at 06.55 PM (2).JPG

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Yes, Porcelain panels. Have no idea on what to offer. Just depends on what it is worth to you and if you can use them.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Just dreaming I suppose!! Would love to see building saved!! Looks to be in great shape!

Steve Coppens
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Is the building in danger of being torn down Steve? It would be a shame to lose it.....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Is the building in danger of being torn down Steve? It would be a shame to lose it.....
Darin

No idea Darin. It didn't look like it. I drove past it in a little town in Central Mi. this past weekend. Of course, it caught my eye!! grin
Wish I had the money and land to move it and set up my collection inside it and a place for whiskey and cigars!!

Last edited by Steven C.; Tue Oct 08 2019 07:29 PM.

Steve Coppens
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This type of building was delivered to the site on the back of many flat bed trucks. It was then assembled, panel by panel to create what you are looking at. So, if you are interested in preserving this great old station, you will first need to have a slab of concert poured, with the correct attachments in the cement to accommodate the panels.

You will need to carefully disconnect each panel, marking each as to where it belonged and continue this all around and above the station. Unless you have a lot of money to hire people to do what you want, it will be too costly to continue. In my opinion, the cost of this building should be around $1.00, assuming you agree to accept all liability in the removal. The assumption here is that if they want the building gone, they will have to pay someone to remove everything. For $1.00 you will accept that responsibility.

Before you go offering any money for the station, be sure to check anything in the floor and what is it connected to. If for any reason they had a gasoline tank under the station, walk away quickly.

A quick story here in the St. Louis County region: One large oil company was spreading stations all over the place. In a community near where I live the purchased the "V" shape corner. An old building was torn down to make room for the station, but off to left of the "V" was what used to be an old Taxi garage. This little business was large enough that they had there own gas pump and with a tank in the ground for the gasoline. Well, after the new company purchased the land they started digging down to put their own tanks in the ground, they discovered the ground they purchased was filled with old gasoline, It virtually covered the entire "V" shape of the ground. One day that I drove by when they were preparing the ground, they were removing dirt from a hole that was at least 20 feet down.

I don't know who paid for all of this, but as a precaution, don't accept any liability having to do with the removability of anything that is in the ground at the station. Your picture does not show enough information as to where the pumps were, therefore I cannot determine where the tanks were in the ground. Notice, I said where the tanks were. By Federal law, not local, not state, but federal these tanks were required to be removed by, here I think, 1998. If the tanks were removed, the concreate is usually another color and east to see.

In the last two years at an auction where an old visible pump was being offered, they just casually mentioned it was still connected to the tank in the ground. Again, these pumps and tanks were required to be removed around 1998. I remembered the time, all kinds of pump were being offered, you just come and remove them. In my opinion, most of the old tanks are still in the ground.

Good luck, but be careful.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved