Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#734357 Thu Aug 15 2019 08:06 PM
H
HTXCarl Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Acquired an Erie (Merit) 176 yesterday. It’s missing, what I’m guessing is some type of metering device? The casting is broken where it would have attached... Does anyone have any info on what it may have been or looked like?

Also, the nozzle handle is broken on the spigot; any chance someone has a replacement? Does this look the same as an Erie lubester that it could be replaced with? Just planning to blast, polish and paint, then collect dust with all my other junk :P

IMG_5509.JPG IMG_4755.JPG IMG_4864.JPG IMG_2696.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can make you a photo copy of the original parts break down. Price would be $6 shipped.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Metering devices were usually an option. This type of pump was usually used in a commercial area, like a farm where they didn't need to keep track of how much was used.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
H
HTXCarl Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thank you for the information gentlemen!

Ron, I will be sending you an email!

Jack, you are correct, and my apologies for the terminology error; I believe there may have been a limiter (not metering device) to control the volume dispensed, i.e. quart, gallon, etc.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The earliest advertisement I have is 1924 for Merit. They made only oil and grease dispensers at that time. The did offer a gas pump for sale in 1931, but it was a pump made by Bowser and rebranded Merit. It appears they did not make it through the depression and the company was sold to the Erie Company. At that time Erie did not make this type of equipment, just gas pumps. This way they could expand their business. Early on they called this type of equipment "Erie Merit" but the name Merit was dropped during the 1930's. One more thing, I cannot find any mention of your pump under the name Merit, so it was probably a pump that was developed by Erie after the merger.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Aug 22 2019 09:39 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The parts breakdown I'm sending you shows effective pricing as of Feb. 10th, 1942.

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved