Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#734208 Tue Aug 13 2019 02:31 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I appreciate the answers I've gotten from other users over the last few weeks about the values of some of the Shell items that I've inherited. I'd like to ask about the value of yet another category.

In my father-in-law's closet were seven items of Shell-badged outerwear. The oldest are the two jackets shown in the attached images, which appear to bear the 1948-1954 logo. (He started with Shell in the late 1940's.) They're in vitrually perfect condition. Do these have value to collectors?

Brown Shell uniform.jpg Brown_Shell_uniform_logo.png Olive Shell uniform.jpg Olive_Shell_uniform_logo.png
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Fred....things are looking up. Both coats definitely have collector value.....especially since they are in excellent condition. Again, you're up against the reality (my opinion, based on vending experience) that SHELL isn't one of those really hot gas/oil collector brands. I.E. there's not an extreme amount of buying "pressure" for many SHELL items. I don't know the value to suggest for the jackets, but hopefully some of the OG gang will chime in. John

Jolly-John #734284 Wed Aug 14 2019 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Jolly-John
Fred....things are looking up. Both coats definitely have collector value.....especially since they are in excellent condition. Again, you're up against the reality (my opinion, based on vending experience) that SHELL isn't one of those really hot gas/oil collector brands. I.E. there's not an extreme amount of buying "pressure" for many SHELL items. I don't know the value to suggest for the jackets, but hopefully some of the OG gang will chime in. John

I think Shell may be a " hot" brand for some items.For instance I have sold several Super Shell and Shell Premium pump plates for $2500.00 each,try getting more than $300.00 for the Mobil Pegasus pump plate or some other major companys. This is based on my experience,unfortunately some of these plates are being knocked off which may affect value.

Frank Jordan
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Right, Frank. As I indicated, there's not much buying pressure for MANY SHELL items (but not all SHELLl items). Signs are one of the exceptions, because guys who collect signs in general (not necessarily SHELL collectors) will buy them. Or, one of the original, tall SHELL oil bottles. Again, any oil bottle collector who doesn't already have one will be interested. But, put a comparable age SHELL handy oiler out on your swap table, next to a Mobil Pegasus handy oiler, and I know which one will sell first, and likely for more money. When I'm vending at a swap meet, I find that most SHELL "smalls" linger in my inventory for quite awhile. And, I almost never have a person come into my swap space, and ask, "Do you have any SHELL stuff?". However, it's common to have guys come in, and ask for Mobil, Texaco, and Phillips 66 goodies. And, I vend mostly in the Midwest, where SHELL had pretty decent marketing exposure. Just what I've seen over the years. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Wed Aug 14 2019 06:46 PM.
Jolly-John #734301 Wed Aug 14 2019 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good answer,thanks!

Frank Jordan
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Clothing is tough. This is the closest comparable that I can find offered right now. I can tell you that this item has been listed for months.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/224546428185096

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My goodness.....I just looked at the price......no wonder it's been listed for months. John

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved