Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#732736 Sat Jul 20 2019 09:09 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Some years ago I purchased these two Mobilgas shields. The letter “a” is different in the two. My question is do they represent different times? If so which letter was used in the older sign? Or do they represent different sign manufacturers and might be of the same time frame? I believe the one is McMatth Axlerod and of course the other Texlite. Were these one and the same manufacturers? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Steve

DCF19CDF-3BBF-4705-AA47-6FB02E0F4E0F.jpeg D7939DFB-DC60-405C-8F95-8BF16BE270C2.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Steve,
As far as I am aware, the shields are from the same time period. If I had to take an educated guess, I would agree it was probably just a difference in manufacturers. Both are the larger "white border" pump plate shields used in Socony-Vacuum's Magnolia marketing territory. The open a is called the serif A version, the other is known as a closed A to Mobil collectors. Although it doesn't apply to these signs, the serif A would usually be older. It has always perplexed me that Socony-Vacuum used the earlier serif A on the Mobilgas globes from 1934 to 1962, but the use of the serif A on the large pole shields ended in 1946 from the research I've done over the years. They used the closed A from there on out. Incidentally, the wide blue border pump plates which are the most common Mobilgas plates, used the closed A during all years of production from 1946 to 1954, and into the thin blue border versions from 1954 to 1962. I'm sure a booklet could be written on Mobil pump plates alone.....there are many variations to collect!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks so much Darin for all the info. The Mobilgas shields are so unique with their shape and there being so many variations. I counted 29 Pump Plate variations from Henderson/Benjamin’s Guide to Gas Pump Restoration!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved