Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#727608 Wed Apr 03 2019 09:37 AM
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
was wondering what people used for washers on a mobil script top insert, looks like there were rubber and metal washers on there, mine were rotted, and also anyone have a solution to fixing a broken stud
with out welding, there is still some of the stud left to work with.
thanks marky

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Drill a hole through the piece where the stud was attached, tap the hole to whatever size threads you need, screw in new screw with loctite applied and grind off the head of the screw. Should work out fine....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If there is enough thread you can just re-cut it with a die and lots of cutting fluid. If not, knock it off completely and epoxy on a new bolt. A large flat surface on the bolt, like you see on an "elevator bolt", will give you more surface area to adhere to and holds way better. Some auto fasteners also have a flat head like that too. I've done this successfully, JB weld would work too.

As far as rubber washers, I dont remember them being anything special you cant get at a hardware store (or something close anyway).

(Im assuming you dont want to mess around with the outer surface of the panel.)

images.jpg
Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed Apr 03 2019 11:11 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i for got to mention its a porcelain coated top

20190331_203019.jpg

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I haven't had any luck with JB Weld and porcelain...I had a set of porcelain Gulf letters on rails; the type where studs were attached to the backs of the letters with little tabs (as opposed to the type where the stud is directly attached to the letter)...the fragile tabs had rusted away, and I tried to reattach the studs to the backs of the letters, so I could then reattach the letters to the rails...but the JB Weld just wouldn't hold...tried roughing up the points of contact on the backs of the letters, to give the JB Weld more grip, without success...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved