Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#727247 Tue Mar 26 2019 06:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hello guys:
Wondering if anyone knows what the current value would be on this Chevrolet Power Glide Skeletal Neon. Checked online and found one that sold in 2016 at Morphy's for $510 but that is the only one I could find price on. Have the opportunity to buy but don't want to pay too much. It is an old original with original tubing, not a remake. Thanks very much for your replies....Dale

Chevrolet Power Glide Skeletal sign.jpg

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
what does the tranformer look like on the neon? .. ... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Randy:
I don't know what it looks like. My niece"s father-in-law owns it and it is about 300 miles from me. It came either from his dad's or grandad's Chevrolet dealership when it was closed. Haven't seen it up close and personal, just this photo. Thanks...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Not saying this as a negative....just for your information, Dale: The high voltage leads coming from the unseen transformer to the sign are definitely "modern". To me, that's probably a good thing, but it does raise the possibility that some of the neon might have been repaired. Assuming no "modern" neon repairs, I believe you'd be doing well, if you can buy the sign for $500.....unless you were thinking you should be paying more for whatever reason. "Real" Chevy sign stuff, metal or neon, usually sells well and brings premium prices. John

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks John. The reason for my asking for today's value, based on it being original neon, was to find out if possibly this particular sign had gained in value since 2016 like porcelain and tin signs have done. The fellow that owns this is wanting way more than what the sign that Morphy's sold brought. This is the reason for the question as to today's value. Thanks....Dale

Last edited by Dale Stephens; Thu Mar 28 2019 09:19 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Seems to me from the prices I’ve seen, the skeleton neon signs are not real hi $$$ pieces. But if it’s on a porcelain sign then watch out !! Big$$$$

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Dale, I would agree with Chris.....the neon-only signs are typically NOT high dollar pieces, compared to an original porcelain sign with neon. And no, the neon-only signs haven't skyrocketed in value over the past five (ten) years, compared to a porcelain/neon sign.

I have some of the original neon-only gas/oil/auto signs on my walls. I like them. But, the problem is they are just glass neon tubes on a metal frame (with a transformer). This Chevrolet Power Glide sign we're talking about can be re-created by a good neon person as a single (not mass-produced) item for around $500. Such a reproduced sign will satisfy many old car hobby guys who simply want a decorative, colorful neon sign on his garage or man cave wall. So, there's not a lot of upward price pressure on the original neon-only signs. BUT, come up with a sign that has an original porcelain face, can, and neon....something that can't be easily reproduced...and up goes the collector interest and the prices.

Back to the specific Power Glide sign you're looking at, I believe it's worth around $800. Now, if the current owner contacted the owner of a huge Chevrolet-only car collection, would that person pay more? Perhaps. There are always special circumstances, but a seller usually has to work hard to find those.

You might want to mention to the current sign owner that a sign like his is very hard to package properly for shipment to a remote buyer. If it breaks in transit, it's mostly trash. You being right there to carry this neon sign home, after the payment of your $100 bills, should be a benefit to the seller. Good luck. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...someone who knows old neon can tell the difference between an original and something made recently...sadly, at the moment it would seem there are more "old car hobby guys who simply want a decorative, colorful neon sign on his garage or man cave wall", than collectors who would prize the Real McCoy...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Mark, I really appreciate your addition of the word "sadly" to your citing of my verbiage about reproduction tin and porcelain signs, and repro neon being used to decorate many old car hobby garages. Well stated.

But, I don't blame these guys in any way. They're just looking to decorate their shop or fun room with some stuff related to the old car hobby (not the gas and oil hobby). Most are interested in putting money into their old cars, rather than in original gas/oil goodies on the walls. Of course, there are also people like me, who spend money enjoying BOTH of these hobbies. John

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks John and others. I couldn't see these skeletal signs being worth the kind of money the man is asking but then I have never bought one before either. I was pretty sure the asking price was way out of line but wanted to make sure. I certainly would not have bought it without checking for repairs anyway and would travel the 300 or so miles to check it out and haul it myself if I bought it. Too risky to have that type, or any other neon, shipped anyway. Thanks again...Dale

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved