Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#727226 Tue Mar 26 2019 02:18 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have ordered a set of decals for my computer, but they do not work on my computer. I have only tried the lower price indicator ones. I have tried lining them up at each end of the numbers as well as the middle. However, when I move it to one end or the other, they do not center up where they should. Are there different makers of these decals? Do they have a specific set for Veeder Root? This is the first one I am restoring, so I may be doing it wrong. If anyone has run into this issue before let me know. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Gasoline24 #727263 Tue Mar 26 2019 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's hard to tell exactly how you have attempted to place the decals from your description. Most of the decals that the suppliers sell are for veeder root computers so that shouldn't be your problem. All of them will require centering the tape on the drum and trimming some of the excess tape or overlapping it. I usually line up the number I plan on displaying over the old number that was on the wheel, if it is still visible. If the old numbers are worn off you can set the drum back on the pin on the computer base and mark the front position giving you a starting point for the number you wish to display. Sometimes the numbers on the small price per gallon tapes won't be exact if you turn them but they never turn again anyway and as long as the one displayed is right it doesn't really matter.. Try the tapes on the large wheels and see if they don't come out more even. Those are the ones that stop at the indicators as the computer runs I only use the tape decals on the older computer wheels that had the numbers painted on the drums originally. If the computer is a later model with the embossed digits I just repaint them rather than applying the decals. It can be done either way. Not sure I've been much help but sometimes you just have to figure it out as you go. Good luck....GB

Last edited by Rabbitman; Tue Mar 26 2019 09:39 PM.
Gasoline24 #727272 Wed Mar 27 2019 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes there are different makers of the decals. You didn't mention where you bought them. I sell a lot to Joe Yocom who restores
the computers. I have my own made. Check with Joe and see what he recommends.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Rabbitman #727273 Wed Mar 27 2019 06:53 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Rabbitman for the response. I guess it wasn't just me. I was leaning in the direction of picking a price and getting everything aligned that way. All of the numbers are pretty well gone on mine, so there is nothing to line them up. I had to figure out the correct position and then mark the wheel to find the center. This could be some of the problem as well. I haven't tried the upper wheels yet, but those are next on my list. I am still trying to figure those things out. Figuring out the location for the numbers on the price wheels seems easy compared to those. I have figured out the right and left hand wheels, but I haven't figured out how to determine where to place the numbers. If you have any suggestions, those would be appreciated.

Ron Scobie #727274 Wed Mar 27 2019 06:54 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Ron, I have read all of Joe's posts on here on the Veeder Root and watched his videos. If Joe uses yours, that is a great endorsement. I sent you a PM.

Gasoline24 #727308 Wed Mar 27 2019 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The only way you can find a starting place on the big wheels is to have them installed in the working meter and then reset it to it's starting position where the pointer indicator is in the zero position. Start the tape at zero there. I don't know of another way to find exact location of the digits with the computer disassembled and the wheels laying in the bench, although there may be a way to do that. Joe Yokum would know as he's the master computer rebuilder in the hobby. I always used Ron Scobies tapes on mine and they always worked fine. Maybe you should consider just sending your meter to Joe, he will send you back a beautiful meter better than new. I've rebuilt several but if my time was worth anything I'd have a fortune in one as long as it takes me to do one. smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved