Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi all, I picked up an old lubester today, and it’s awesome. But of course, the porcelain plate displaying whatever brand was used with it is gone. Is there any other way to identify what brand would’ve been on/in it? I have a few pictures (not the best). But it does say opaco on it and the lid has a sort of plus sign design in the metal (not sure if they were all like that). Thank you for the help.

A417E9FF-5824-49EA-A6EE-79FAF5B60D52.jpeg 994301B1-54FA-4214-AEF6-9516D2A85AEA.jpeg 8A5793B4-A46D-4DCB-9B06-527056A02D63.jpeg 334AEC4E-7BD0-4C78-97B4-988BC1467E20.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...OPACO is just the manufacturer's name...you might be able to tell from any vestiges of original decals on the pump...it's possible the oil company that used this lubester could be determined by the placement of the screw holes left by the now-absent sign...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't know what oil company used it, but it was made by the "Oil Products Appliance Company (OPACO) of Maywood, Illinois. When I wrote my first gas pump book I used a lot of pictures of this type of dispensers, but in my last book I removed everything that was not gas pump related, but I do have some ads, so I would say your dispenser is probably from around 1930. Now, why is it green? Years ago these dispensers were sometimes painted colors depending on what was in the dispenser. green was many times used to indicate kerosene.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
OP Offline
Originally Posted by gulfiend!
...OPACO is just the manufacturer's name...you might be able to tell from any vestiges of original decals on the pump...it's possible the oil company that used this lubester could be determined by the placement of the screw holes left by the now-absent sign...

Originally Posted by Jack Sim
I don't know what oil company used it, but it was made by the "Oil Products Appliance Company (OPACO) of Maywood, Illinois. When I wrote my first gas pump book I used a lot of pictures of this type of dispensers, but in my last book I removed everything that was not gas pump related, but I do have some ads, so I would say your dispenser is probably from around 1930. Now, why is it green? Years ago these dispensers were sometimes painted colors depending on what was in the dispenser. green was many times used to indicate kerosene.

Jack Sim

Thank you for the help guys, this is pretty frustrating but worst case scenario I’ll just make into whatever I want to, but I like keeping things as they should be.

Last edited by 2001GTTT; Sat Mar 23 2019 11:29 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have 2 cranks that have the oil co. name on them does you cranks say anything can't tell in the pics
marky

lubester cranks.jpg

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved