Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#726486 Mon Mar 11 2019 07:37 PM
OP Offline
Hello,

I got this Erie pump off my aunt & uncle's farm in Idaho about 25 years ago, and started a restoration way back when. One think I've never been able to determine is just what model is this pump? I've looked at the pump photos on this site, and it appears to me to match the Erie 843 Continental Aristocrat. Would you agree? What year(s) would this pump date to then?

When I stripped the panels (they had been painted several times with a brush), I could easily tell that it was a Standard Oil pump. I then purchased the appropriate decals, and a repro globe. I restored the computer, cleaned and painted the frame (removed the smelly pump and motor), and got as far as spraying epoxy primer on the panels. That was something like 20 years ago! It's been taking up space in my garage (and moved cross country twice now), and I think it's time to get it done. So now the question is (again, after seeing some beautiful pumps on this site), what color scheme would this pump have had for the era?

In the second photo, you can see that this pump used to have a flow spinner in a glass bowl. Apparently this pump was "modernized" by blanking off the globe base, and replacing the spinner and bowl with a flat plate. I have never been able to locate a replacement spinner and bowl. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Brian

Erie_001.jpg Erie_002.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
speeder3 #726498 Mon Mar 11 2019 10:46 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your pump is the Erie 842 or 843. Because I can't see all of the pump I cannot ID it any further. The 842 had a retractable hose, so it had a chrome strip next to the face, this protected the pump from the hose. The 843 came in two versions (they may each have a model number but my information doesn't include this information). One version had the hose on a cable; the other had a outside hose. Both the 842 and the 843 were called the "Continental Aristocrat," if it had ad glass panels it was called the "Continental Standard." I believe the pump was introduced in 1957.

Now the sight glass. I have seen this before, a sight glass blocked off, but not later, it was made that way. If there is no opening on the outside for the sight glass, it was a version that did not have them. 1957 was when they were eliminating them, just like they were eliminating globes.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #726542 Tue Mar 12 2019 06:51 PM
OP Offline
Jack,
Thanks for the information. My pump has the retractable hose, and the chrome strips at the corners of the side panel, so an 842 it is. Nice to finally know what I've got.

Brian

speeder3 #726570 Tue Mar 12 2019 11:25 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
All this info came from my new Gas Pump Bible book.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved