Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#725323 Fri Feb 22 2019 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was just charged a final value fee on ebay for an item that DIDNT SELL on ebay. About $190 in fees. I sold a Dr. Pepper sign on facebook that was also listed on ebay as a "BUY IT NOW", not auction. I ended the listing on ebay immediately when I sold it on facebook and ebay charged me a final value fee anyway. About a month earlier I had been contacted by someone via ebay messenger about selling off-line, which I didnt do, and they are using that as "evidence" that I might sell it in the future off-ebay.

I talked to them earlier January about this over the phone and they promised me all was fine, no charge will come. Now in February they sneek it into my bill without any info about it. Just got off the phone with them for about hour, they wont reverse the decision.

So anyway, warning to any of you who like to put your items for sale in multiple areas. Ebay is getting really crazy, be careful. I need to step back and figure out how to handle ebay or get out completely.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Fri Feb 22 2019 02:37 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Paul Bell #725350 Sat Feb 23 2019 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got out a long time ago, guess I made the right choice.

Have gas all the time
Paul Bell #725352 Sat Feb 23 2019 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This sucks,and how is this any different to eBay if a seller puts their phone # in their description and states they have it for sale locally and reserve the right to end auction early?
EBay should be charging those sellers as well then I guess..

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Paul Bell #725356 Sat Feb 23 2019 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
In reviewing this, it appears that over the last 6 months to a year, ebay has really gone too far in trying to prevent "off ebay" sales. Hard to prevent people from sending their phone numbers to me in ebay messenger. Reading other examples of this happening to other people too. Problem is that ebay still has a good pool of buyers, hard to completely get out.

Paul Bell #725357 Sat Feb 23 2019 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know this is not a perfect solution, but what if you list on eBay first for a week. If it doesn't sell then list everywhere else. In other words don't have the item listed on eBay and other places simultaneously. Like I said, not a perfect solution by any measure but it might prevent eBay from squeezing you for fees. Just a thought.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim, not a bad thought, usually it takes a while for the larger items to sell and its nice to have visibility in different selling venues. I'm thinking of only doing 30 day duration sales on ebay (relist as required, not hard to do) and if it sells on facebook or oldgas I'll raise my ebay price to the moon and let the Buy it Now end when it ends, wouldnt be more than a few weeks most likely.

Paul Bell #726425 Mon Mar 11 2019 08:19 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have had this happen as well. Or when I have a buyer picking up in person, I would try to end the auction or cancel sale in order to avoid final fees. Why should I pay shipping fees for a pick up??

At this point I feel Ebay is so draconian I will try to cheat them any chance I get. It all started with the flat 10% final value fee on the item plus the shipping.

What ever we do to beat them, they come up with something else to counter it..almost like war!

I do like the idea of selling off Ebay then if still listed, raising the price to ensure no sale. BUT they will catch on to that as well I'm sure.

Must have rooms full of people looking for this type activity. The cited example from the OP is nothing short of thief as far as I'm concerned.

REALLY wish there was a viable alternative.

Paul Bell #726428 Mon Mar 11 2019 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually I hope everyone cheats Ebay out of all their money and they go under. Nothing but a pain in my butt since they started,

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Paul Bell #727294 Wed Mar 27 2019 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just had another sale that was listed on ebay but sold another way. I think I'll be OK this time, I waited two weeks to take it down. When I was battling ebay on the phone earlier, they seemed to have nailed me for sharing a phone number even if it was months before it sold. If people contacted me asking for my phone number, I used to share it. I think if someone sends you their number, they don't beat you to death, but dont share your phone number no matter what. Assume if you share your phone number to someone, they'll charge you final value fees even if it sells months later.

My rules for ebay going forward:

1. No indefinite ebay "buy-it now"s, just 30 day or less for items being sold on multiple sites. That way if it sells somewhere else, you can just let it time out on ebay, possible raising the price until then. I know thats wrong but ebay is forcing it.
2. Never share my phone number on ebay messenger, dont matter if its in words or not.
3. Try not to use ebay.

Paul Bell #727302 Wed Mar 27 2019 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've always wondered how sellers can list their phone # in their eBay description,and eBay allows this?
I understand it's for buyers to ask questions,but also see it as a way the 2 parties can skate around eBay too.
Am I wrong?

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #727303 Wed Mar 27 2019 07:21 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Cold Pizza
I've always wondered how sellers can list their phone # in their eBay description,and eBay allows this?
I understand it's for buyers to ask questions,but also see it as a way the 2 parties can skate around eBay too.
Am I wrong?

More often than not, when I see a phone number its via a picture. Seller writes their number on a piece of paper and then takes a picture of it. I believe it's much harder for Ebay to discover this tactic unless it gets reported to them by a viewer

Paul Bell #727330 Thu Mar 28 2019 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I see that occasionally, picture of the phone number on ebay. I bet those get reported on as well, for sure a good way to get charged final value fees I'm sure. I was surprised when I was selling a "kind of" medical product on ebay, an attachment to an arm cast, and their was a small prescription logo in one of the pictures and it got reported within days of me posting it, I didnt even notice it. Ebay shut that down fast, which is fine I guess.

The sellers that have phone numbers in their description are "power sellers", apparently they have different rules and its allowed for them to have phone numbers listed. Why its cool for them and not us not really sure. I asked ebay when I was yelling at them few months back about it and didnt get an answer.

Paul Bell #727345 Thu Mar 28 2019 08:14 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
On occasion, if I list a high dollar item that I want some off ebay action with, I'll post a 50c item as well. If the people that want to contact me are smart enough, they'll know that we will now have each others e-mail address if they make the 50c purchase. That is until paypal (ebay) hides e-mail address'.

bppierce #727354 Thu Mar 28 2019 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by bppierce
On occasion, if I list a high dollar item that I want some off ebay action with, I'll post a 50c item as well. If the people that want to contact me are smart enough, they'll know that we will now have each others e-mail address if they make the 50c purchase. That is until paypal (ebay) hides e-mail address'.

Hadn't thought of that one, good idea. Are you worried someone will buy the 50 cent item and actually want you to send it to them? That would be a pain. I guess I've been underestimating the ebay buyers, they dont seem to have any idea how ebay works in my experience, Ive had more than a few people who message me right in ebay messenger asking to cut out ebay out right in the message.

...dah, just figured out make the token small item pickup only!

Last edited by Paul Bell; Fri Mar 29 2019 12:07 AM.

Paul Bell #727374 Fri Mar 29 2019 04:01 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I state that I'll e-mail them the picture for them to print out on their computer.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved