Dear Oldgas friends.

Do you know the story of the attractive young woman framed by a Kelly-Springfield tire that smiles at us from the billboards and magazine ads?

What about enjoying the Kelly old ads art by great illustrators such as Louis Mayer, Justin Gruelle, Laurence Fellows, the Master Peter Helck and the Streamliner train designer Otto Kulher, among others?

It is a pleasure to share with you the results of my ten-year research as a scholar especialized in the pioneer tire companies graphic design and advertising strategies (1880s-1930s). I’m a professor of Graphic Design subject at the University of Barcelona, Catalonia, a pasionated academic researcher and writer… and a collector too.

If you want to know more about the Kelly-Springfield Tire Co. and its amazing advertising history, download it in the link:
http://diposit.ub.edu/dspace/bitstream/2445/126382/155/41.pdf

There you will find an entire article devoted to Kelly written by me, accompanied by dozens of incredible images never published before. Surely it's worth looking at!

I hope you enjoy the fruits of my academic research, gathered in my Thesis dissertation dealing with the American pioneer tire industry: The Forgotten Years of Bibendum. Michelin’s American Period in Milltown: Design, Illustration and Advertising by Pioneer Tire Companies (1900-1930).

There you will find the story of other important tire companies such as Fisk, Gillette, Cupples, Lee, Republic, Hood, India and Miller, among others.

You can find them in the link:
http://diposit.ub.edu/dspace/handle/2445/126382

I wish you to be useful.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments and apportations to the topic!

Greetings from Barcelona, Catalonia.

Sincerely, Pau.

---------------------------------
Dr. Pau Medrano-Bigas
Professor of Graphic Design at the Grade of Design.
Department of Visual Arts and Design.
Sant Jordi Faculty of Fine Arts.
University of Barcelona.
------
Email (Department): pau.medrano.bigas@ub.edu
------
Member of GRACMON,
Research Group in
Contemporary Art and Design History,
University of Barcelona.

Kelly-1.jpg Kelly-2.jpg Kelly-3.jpg Kelly-4.jpg
Last edited by pauvictoria; Sun Jan 20 2019 10:04 AM.