Print Thread
#717974 Fri Oct 12 2018 05:51 PM
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
After seeing photographs of the optional lights, I decided to make my own lights. The light kit sold by one of the major vendors is not accurate in several ways, the light arms were straight, not bent, and the angle that the light arms extend was at the wrong angle (too high). I took a few photos along the way. It was not easy and probably cost too much money, but I think they turned our close to original light fixtures. I did not brand the pump; just liked the black and red. Now I know why no one has reproduced a correct light kit for the Cut 83. A lot of time involved and few kits would be sold. I even built a small forge and cast a few pieces of aluminum for the fixtures. I created the cup-shaped part of the fixture with JB Weld and 2-part epoxy in a squeeze bag. I took the cup to local forge and $43 later, I had two aluminum cups. The threaded bottom pieces are 1940s Atlas Mason jar lids. The glass covers came from Home Depot landscape lights. The light arms extended down from the central part of the fixture at a 23 degree angle, so I had to use an digital protractor to get the angle right on the fixture where the arm screws into it. Needed some TIG welding, epoxy primer. I think they turned out better than I expected. Thanks to Richard for providing photos and dimensions of original light fixtures (the black fixture). My repro is the red fixture.
Joe

light pod.JPG SAM_2896.JPG SAM_2701.JPG SAM_2702.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
model72 #717978 Fri Oct 12 2018 05:56 PM
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Here is a photo of both light fixtures mounted to the bonnet. I think the vertical conduit was supposed to go through the skin, but I ran it through a large drain hole on the jar base. There is still another 1" drain hole on the other side.

I also attached a photo of the gate valve handle. If you look closely, you can see a "B" and "D" stamped into the metal. The small hole is in the center of the "D". I assume it was Boyle-Dayton. What was the purpose of the tiny hole?
Joe

SAM_2899.JPG SAM_2720.JPG
model72 #717980 Fri Oct 12 2018 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks good. It looks like an original.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
MATT ALVAREZ #718013 Sat Oct 13 2018 02:48 PM
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
After two days of heavy rain, both glass jars had rain water. The rain is entering between the domed cup and the top of the jar lid; will have to disassemble and use a thin bead of silicone caulk to seal out the rain or make gaskets.

model72 #718023 Sun Oct 14 2018 04:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One possibility for the small hole - I have had a couple of visible handles with a similar hole where a chain and padlock was riveted to the handle. I guess so you wouldn't lose the lock when you unlocked the handle

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved