Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello and once again thanks for the wealth of information you all collectively share. This is my 2nd post but I need Help. The glass cylinder in my Fry Pump is original and completely intact. The man I bought it from stressed the importance of that and advised me on how expensive original ones cost. Im refurbishing it and have sanded and stripped the paint from the entire body but he put the fear of God in me about protecting that cylinder. The problem is that it needs to be cleaned as it is very murky and non transparent. Id also like to be able to paint it with the cylinder off. Is it possible to succefully remove one without damage. Id have to undo all the rods , remove the hail screen and somehow free it from almost 90 years of what looks like a cement seal at the upper gaskets. Is it worth the risk? Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_1964.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
There is a listing at the top of this site....Frequently Asked Questions....It covers everything you need to know to remove a glass cylinder. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I can do you one better, here is a link directly to the thread.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=400691#Post400691

Randy
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you very much for the information. I am now thoroughly convinced To just leave it alone smile

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I don’t blame you, I’d just clean it on the pump! I had a bad experience with a visible cylinder. Wasn’t cracked when I got it or after I unloaded it. It sat in my garage for a week or 2, seen something didn’t lok right, walked over 2 it and it was cracked all the way around about 2 inches up!! Chris

C
OP Offline
C
I was thinking it just might be possible to remove the hose and pump water with a cleaning solution or light household cleaner like CLR into the cylinder through the Outlet Nozzle and letting it sit a while and maybe dissolve whatever it is tainting the glass "calcium, lime ?" Could this be a viable option?

Last edited by Coffeesergeant; Mon Jun 04 2018 01:03 PM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I cleaned a 5 gallon tank by injecting a Simple Green/water solution up through the discharge pipe, then rinsed with fresh water. I also used a calcium, lime, rust remover solution.
Joe

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved