Next Thread
Print Thread
#66130 Fri Jan 16 2004 02:57 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
I got an email concerning this. Did anyone else get one? Is this a scam or normal proceedure? Haven't opened the web page they say to go to. Wanted to check with everyone else first.
Thanks for any help.
Rod
in Nebraska where we usually pay with money orders anyway.

------------------

#66131 Fri Jan 16 2004 03:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rod
On the Paypal site somewhere they state that they will never ask you to log on to the site using a link in an email. They issue notices, but only to advise you how to proceed once you are logged on.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

#66132 Fri Jan 16 2004 04:39 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I have been getting 1 or 2 a day for a week or two. Never had paypal never open them, gotta be scammers!!

#66133 Fri Jan 16 2004 05:10 PM
It is for sure a scam. To be certain, go to your PayPal account by a link you have bookmarked. Log in and see if anything is needed for you to update.

They can make these look very real. They can appear to be from PayPal, eBay or some other password login site. Responding to these scam emails would be the same as giving your password to a stranger on the street.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#66134 Fri Jan 16 2004 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On The subject of scams and closely related to Paypal. I got an email back in Sept from Ebay asking me to confirm my account info such as user name password, etc. I thought it was routine maybe...it looked like an Ebay email...so I clicked the link, did what they asked for.
The next day while using Ebay I was asked to sign-in which is unusual, so I did and It came up with username and password not recognised. I was shocked!
I did it a few times more...still no good.
For a week I couldn't get in. So I went online to Ebay chat and they advised me to change my password as someone sent me a bogus email and stole my identity. They Also told me to cancel my
current C/C # and get a new one which I did, and of course that created all sorts of other problems outside of Ebay. and then I had to change all that info on Ebay and Paypal....just because I fell for what looked to be a "real" Ebay Security check
of identity. Eventually after getting about 6 or 7 of these they stopped. So, it sounds like other dirtbags are attempting the same with Paypal accounts. Be careful out there.

DOC Of The American Garage West

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#66135 Fri Jan 16 2004 07:54 PM
M
M
I get this stuff every 3-4 days, either from ebay or paypal. Simply forward the email to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com (depending on who supposedly sent it to you) I forwarded one to ebay i received today letting me know my account was going to be deactivated...blah,blah. Typically you will get a reply letting you know they are investigating and then usually within a day they will let you know if it is a fake. I received a reply from ebay a short while ago on the email i forwarded to them earlier today and yep...you guessed it, it was bogus! they advise to perform any activities on your account directly through their website and never through a email link. So many scams out there!!

#66136 Fri Jan 16 2004 08:12 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Hello All! Just a fast note to let everyone know I gat a notice from Paypal last week by email about these scams and the dangers they represent. Always look for their identity in the address bar or its not them. They warned to change password monthly,etc.

#66137 Sat Jan 17 2004 11:13 AM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Ebay and Paypal will never ask you for any information, like Credit card #'s. SS, Bank,passwords, username.

Craig
#66138 Sun Jan 18 2004 07:10 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks for all your help. I forwarded it to spuff@paypal.com and they said it was a scam.
Rod

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved