Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Question for you guys, have you ever seen any of these? These are screen print on canvas ads intended for D-X filling station. Likely to hung outside. They are part of the Disney Dumbo/D-X oil advertising in 1942. My dad thought they were too cool* to just put in his station so he rolled them up and saved them before heading off to WWII.

I have found people selling the Dumbo/D-X pins and the comic books that were part of the ad campaign but have never seen any of these. Double interest since they are both oil advertising and Disney. Wondering if I have one of a kinds here? Might be since these were essentially throwaways for a short-lived ad campaign. . Not great pictures, I have them framed and the glass is crazy reflective. They are all approximately 21” x 17”

* He was right, I think they are super cool.

dumbo free air 640x480.jpg fill er up 480x640.jpg oil rite 480x640.jpg wash it clean 640x480.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't imagine many of these were saved,
you may have the only set - cool - .. ... cool

RANDY
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Very cool.....as a Disney collector and an Old Gas collector, I find them very appealing!

Do you have them framed with UV filtering glass? If not, you might want to spend the money and get UV glass or plexi installed. Also, keep away from direct light especially, but even a bright room with reflected light can damage and fade them over time. As a conservator for the local historical society and conservator of my own collection, I can't stress enough that light, natural as well as from indoor lighting sources, is one of the biggest enemies of most all collectibles!
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sun Aug 20 2017 06:59 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Crazy cool graphics! Your dad has a great eye for the right stuff. Wonderful save.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Just another example of "father knows best" smile Great pieces for a variety of reasons.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By DWSheffer
Very cool.....as a Disney collector and an Old Gas collector, I find them very appealing!

Do you have them framed with UV filtering glass? If not, you might want to spend the money and get UV glass or plexi installed. Also, keep away from direct light especially, but even a bright room with reflected light can damage and fade them over time. As a conservator for the local historical society and conservator of my own collection, I can't stress enough that light, natural as well as from indoor lighting sources, is one of the biggest enemies of most all collectibles!
Darin

It's UV glass and not in a room with any direct light. They are still vivid colors and don't want to lose that. Framing was done by a pretty high end specialty framing place in Mpls.

Same reason my old D-X thermometer looks great. My dad had it hung inside the garage, it was never outside to get sun faded.

Last edited by DXoilson; Sun Aug 20 2017 07:21 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I find it interesting that multiple companies used Disney characters to advertise their products. Sunoco and RPM (Standard Oil of CA) come to mind. I've never seen Dumbo in either of their ads though.

On a complete separate note, I read a book a few years ago on the origins of Dumbo: an elephant named Jumbo that was used in circuses. Check out the older Atlantic cans and they'll have an elephant named Jumbo on them.

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I found a picture from an old oldgas sale:

atlantic_jumbo.JPG

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved