Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#690325 Wed Jul 12 2017 09:26 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm restoring a Veeder Root and am currently working on the variator section. Most of the moving parts were stuck solid but I'm slowly freeing, lubricating and reassembling each piece. I have a copy of the manual which is helpful, especially at parts identification.
How do I remove the detent plungers and springs? The manual states to remove these after removing the synchronizing wheels (price wheels) because they are only held in place by the synchronizing wheels.... Well at the moment they seem to be what I call rust welded in place. I've managed to press a couple of them down by squeezing them down with vice grips, but I'm unsure how to get them back out to clean and lubricate them so they work again.
If I do another pump restoration I'll just send the computer to Joe Yokom for rebuild, but for the first one I want to do myself for the education.

Brian

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
If it is really rusted, I think I would clean all of the oil off and soak it in EvapoRust. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Randy
B
OP Offline
B
I already chemically cleaned and disassembled everything but these parts. There is no rust or corrosion left that a liquid can get to. This is how I was able to get the rest of the parts apart. I've been soaking these detent plungers with PB blaster for the last 3 days with no luck. I'm considering drilling a 1/16" hole through the aluminum casting under the plunger and then trying to knock them out with a tiny punch. The problem is that 2 of the 6 plungers are right under a portion of the casting used for mounting the face plate so I can't easily drill those.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had to drill a hole in the bottom casting and push them out before. Sometime they just wont free up enough for the light little spring to push them up. The center ones where the casting is are a little tougher but just drill as small a hole as you can beside the casting flash and just use the drill bit to push the plunger out. A gentle tap wont usually hurt, just try to make sure you get the drill or punch in to middle of the tiny spring or you might trash the spring driving it out.....GB

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the confirmation on drilling the casting and punching them out from underneath. I took the drill to it and it worked out quite well. I was able to save all 6 plungers and springs.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved