Next Thread
Print Thread
#679190 Sun Feb 12 2017 04:33 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I'm just curious, in a case like this, can these panels be saved? Can a good metal guy cut these off and new metal shaped and welded on?
I'm just curious as to what is possible in this situation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-TOKHEIM-39...R-/292026139506

s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Sun Feb 12 2017 04:35 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those could be fixed. It would be a lot of work. The pitting in the rest of the skins would also be a pain to deal with. If the pump was cheap and you could do the work yourself it could be a good project...

Got Socony???

Tom
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
In my opinion, this one is too far gone, to make it worth the time and expense? Not only are the skins shot but the base has chunks broken out of it? This unit is barely something to put in the garden as yard art. At $750. ridiculous asking price? Being real, I wouldn't want it for $100? There are no parts that can be reused without tons of effort. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I have restored several pumps in this condition. I'm a cheapskate, and was wowed by the really cheap prices on them. Can they be restored? You bet, but take my word, the cheap pumps that most consider too far gone cost far more to restore than to buy a good pump up front. On all those cheap pumps I have always lost my shirt when I get paid for working on them. That pump on eBay is way overpriced. It seems like an American picker type found it in a swamp and thought he won the lottery, when in reality the price is so off base, and unrealistic.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree. If you offered me that pump for free, I would likely pass.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Gas pumps are like cars. You are so much further ahead to buy a rust free one. Junk can be fixed ,but when you are done you still have junk!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not to mention all the missing parts! There's no telling how much you would have in it before it's done. For not much more you could get a good one from Buckels. Heck, I think I have one for like $850

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A common pump like a tall Tokheim 39 definitely not worth it for all the reasons already stated above.

If it were a more desirable and a rare pump then in certain instances it could be worth the extra effort. I agree, in most cases, it is better to pay the money upfront for a nice clean pump.I guess, the ultimate question is what is your time worth to you?

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yikes...! That one even scares me and I'm a junk guy....lol. Just from what I can see in the pictures I don't see over $150 in sellable parts and that is retail. Everybody has gave you good advise.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks to all for the info.
I was only using this pump as an example. I too think this way over priced.
But, original parts, no matter the condition will not be available forever. Like these ad glass panels. I was just wondering if they can be saved.
Thanks again guys!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A piece of junk, even the face is bent. Not even a good parts pump. Like someone said a common pump, I even have a complete Bowser I will sell for $500, there are plenty of this type pump out there.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Definitely expensive. But the pump looks perfect as it is. I would just leave it and add a nice globe and front sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can be fixed, but too much labor. There will likely be many more holes once its sandblasted too.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve after a number of restored pumps, this is my rule....Solid with minimal rust , have it's computer(if used)and have all it's original trim. You can find glass, seals, faces and most tags but the trim and it retainers are a big item because any pump that you have to find/order any reproduction parts add up the $$$$ needed to restore!

That ones a bad parts pump!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved