Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
clpike1 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Purchased a new home and wanted a few signs for my awesome garage and I think I got ripped off on eBay. Wish I had known about this forum before I made the purchase. Could someone look at the images below and just confirm it for me? Ill never buy a sign from eBay again, only looking on this wonderful site from now on.

Purchased from jaw0499jeff
http://imgur.com/a/C29ID

Thanks

Last edited by clpike1; Sat Feb 04 2017 09:41 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that is a 20. aftermarket model .. ... cool
Chad, welcome too oldgas
if your not sure don't buy it-
ebay is 95% aftermarket
education - education - education

Last edited by advertologist; Sat Feb 04 2017 09:48 AM.

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are interested in a sign on Ebay and you are not sure...ask here first.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
As stated...all 3 are reproduction signs, with the usual fake chipping and acid dip rust to fool potential buyers. Expensive entry lesson into the hobby, but anymore these 12" repro signs are what most new collectors buy first, and most are pure fantasy signs never made/used by the company originally. Welcome to the site and start learning! smile
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad,

A few things. First, as you now know a vast majority of all sign on eBay are fake. But since you are new to this site, I want to direct you to this thread...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=664999&page=2

....if you scroll to the bottom, you can see a large list of people who sell fakes on eBay. The problem is, it's probably a small percentage of those that do. For every name we add, 3 more sellers of fakes pop up.

Secondly, you should get your money back with eBay's money back guarantee. Write the seller and file a 'money back guarantee complaint' with eBay. Even if you are over the time limit, still do it and you will probably win. You were a victim of a fraud on their website. Those are all $20 reproduction signs.

And lastly, don't think it's just the 12" signs. India is re-popping signs up to 48".

Welcome to Oldgas, and sorry to hear about your purchase.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Feb 04 2017 11:41 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad, Welcome to Oldgas. As stated above, your best defense is to get educated and gain as much knowledge as possible. The members on this site are a wealth of information and willing to give their opinions on fakes and frauds versus the real deal. Best of luck in recovering your money.

Last edited by SandPCollector; Sat Feb 04 2017 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
C
clpike1 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I really appreciate everyone's input and knowledge. I try to be as honest as they come and couldn't sleep at night if I did this to people. Ill never purchase a sign off eBay again. Can you guys recommend any place else to look for authentic signs or just keep an eye on the for sale forum on oldgas? Really want to get my garage decorated but now I am super gun-shy. Thanks again, all, this site is wonderful.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
99% of the time... if something seems like a really good deal... then there is a reason why.

my best advice to new people to the hobby... start looking at old gas station photos! familiarize yourself with the brands and what signs they used. research the signs before you buy them.

if you see a 12" musgo sign... search google or oldgas for 'Musgo sign' you will quickly learn that the only musgo originals are highly sought after, and not something you're going to find for $80 on ebay.

the hobby is a competitive one... if you want to decorate your garage with original porcelain signs, you can expect to pay thousands... not hundreds.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By clpike1
Can you guys recommend any place else to look for authentic signs or just keep an eye on the for sale forum on oldgas? Really want to get my garage decorated but now I am super gun-shy.

Try to get to a petroliana show. On the main page of this site, go to BUY/SELL and click SWAP MEETS. You can learn a ton by just talking to people and looking at items. You will also make friends who can help you in the future. And of course you can buy some good items there.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Feb 04 2017 05:34 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All these recommendations are valid, but don't be discouraged, we all started out with more emotion then knowledge so this site can be very helpful in your learning curve. Don't give up and have fun in the hunt.

Have gas all the time
C
clpike1 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
What are the clues on these that leads everyone to think they are fakes? I am guessing one of the clues is the rust is red; rust should be brown.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sometimes it as simple as looking at the small stuff. LOL

This is a 42" sign that has hanging holes in the top also where if they had really made one it would have fit in a ring to be hung.

FAKE TIOLENE1.jpg FAKE TIOLENE.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rasheed: "Yes,That is how you spell it,Habib. P,e,n,n,s,y,l,v,a,n,t,a- it is a country in America."
Habib:" What? Oh alright then Rasheed, if you say so-you are the boss."
Rasheed, thinking to himself: And to think we pay that guy 100 Rupees an hour.

Last edited by JimT; Sun Feb 05 2017 06:28 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another good idea would be to familiarize yourself with reproduction signs available. Easy to do, just look at the websites.

Like already stated the 3 signs you bought are all readily available for $20.00 a piece everywhere, including e-Bay. If you had taken the time to search these signs even on e-Bay before bidding on them you may have saved yourself some money.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's hilarious Jim !

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved