Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#675426 Fri Dec 30 2016 06:56 PM
F
OP Offline
F
was used at a gas station many years ago.
Not sure if it's a Murdock, if it's called a yard or post hydrant ( or whatever ) or the approx. value of it.
Is about 3 feet tall and very heavy, cast iron I suppose .
Any info/help appreciated !

gaswaterhydrant1.jpgpaint.jpg
hydrant 1

gaswaterhyhdrant2.jpgpaint.jpg
hydrant2

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure what youd like to know about it and You may already know this but Im pretty sure these were sold to anyone who wanted a remote spigot that wouldnt freeze in the winter months.Farmers/warehouses/ect. They still sell a similar but streamlined version. ebay 291986926429 Ive had a couple and always thought they are cool but really, what does one do with them? hard to display I still have one and more or less ended up giving the other away at a show after a few tries.

Last edited by JimT; Sat Dec 31 2016 05:48 AM. Reason: ad
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By JimT
Not sure what youd like to know about it and You may already know this but Im pretty sure these were sold to anyone who wanted a remote spigot that wouldnt freeze in the winter months.Farmers/warehouses/ect. They still sell a similar but streamlined version. ebay 291986926429 Ive had a couple and always thought they are cool but really, what does one do with them? hard to display I still have one and more or less ended up giving the other away at a show after a few tries.

Thank you so much, just really wanted to get an idea of an approx. value and possibly the maker of it . All I can find ( per maker's mark) is the big M on the front, other info. prob. was painted over. This is a really OLD piece, not like that one on ebay ..prob. from the 40-50's but not sure.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No -I just put that there as an example of what I believe these evolved in to. Id say your piece is older than your guesstimate. I may be wrong and Im just taking a flyer here but Id say more like 20s-30s. I think these are cool and I used to have a fantasy about recreating a whole old time shop. Im going to dig around and see if I still have one. Ill post a pic if I do.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have one standing up in the corner of my shop I picked up 10 years ago but still plan on using it when I put a gas island in front of my garage. Here is what is on the Murdock web site , celebrates 160 years and still has parts . I could not post a link but look up Murdock manufacturing

IMG_5074.JPG
Last edited by coheley5; Sun Jan 01 2017 08:13 PM.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved