Next Thread
Print Thread
#674913 Sat Dec 24 2016 06:29 AM
S
shavron Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm looking to purchase a Tokheim 36B.
I first saw it through a open garage door, at a business.
I stopped the owner was not around and told he just buys all this ***** and never sells any of it.
So now it is five years later and I have got to know the owner and he is willing to sell it to me.
I'm looking to pay a far price.
The only problem is he only had the pump at the business for a short time and moved it. So I haven't seen the pump in 5 years.
As I remember there was no base, skins were there, ad glass on top was cracked there was a one piece glass globe with cracking that has been removed and displayed in his shop. That would not be part of the purchase.
So I know it is not the easiest to do, but what price range do you think?

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Without pictures it will just be a ***** shoot. I do realize that you are unable to get pictures but asking for a price without anything to reference is useless. No base is a major issue, in my opinion. Wonder what else is missing? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

S
shavron Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Base was missing because it was cemented in. No hose or nozzle, multi layer of paint, but looked to me to be there. This is from a novice who saw it for 10 minutes 5 years ago.
not looking to steal it, but don't want to over pay.
The pump is for me. I'll restore it and keep it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No way to fairly judge the one your looking at, but I price my pumps to sell and a complete 36b will sell between $2000 and $2500 depending on the look it has, killer looking originals.....a lot more.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a base for sale if you get the pump.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Generally speaking condition of an average value rough pump in the wild which is complete can range $500-800. Scarce/desirable pumps go up from that range.

As tbuckles stated a 36b restored can be 2000-2500. I would suggest the following. Familiarize yourself with the parts cost for that pump by checking around the internet. Even carry a cheat sheet of those parts/costs with you and take a good look at the pump.

You state it needs a base as it is missing, so you know you'll be spending that much just to get it to set proper. Ad glass cost, globe,globe glass, etc anything missing you didn't notice on that 5year old inspection. Check the skins and frame for rot. If the skeleton and skins are decent and that base is the only major component missing then scale the range above down 25%, if they aren't good or much more is missing scale that range down 30-50% depending on how bad/missing things look. You may find on close inspection it's worse than you want to tackle given the amount of work vs your own skills.

Be honest with the guy about the condition and what it's going to take to get it in the right condition. Then offer him based on the adjusted range.

If the guy won't accept a reasoned value then look for a better pump.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just for clarification, a good solid unrestored Tokheim 36B is worth $2000-$2500.00. Not restored as Paul states above.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have to disagree with Dave on this considering there were a number of them sold at auction this year in restored condition for as little as $2000 and an average of $2500 for most sales. But hey if you want to overpay that's between your wallet and the auctioneer.

Last edited by carolinaskies; Tue Dec 27 2016 07:59 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I Try not to say anything I always get in trouble when I do. But I will try again. I have to agree with Dave that a (unrestored) pump is worth $2000-$2500.00. I think restored pumps are down in value in todays market that could change tomorrow...

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i would think they would be worth more with one of my station lighter kits on it but what do i know!!! charley

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C

In this area restored pumps are doing well, but I suppose out in Montana you might have saturated the buyer market with them.... who knows.

No question a couple of these pumps went cheap in auction, but the value of a restored pump can vary greatly by the level of restoration. A junky amateur restoration is probably a worse buy than a solid original pump. I can assure you that a top notch restoration from any of the professional restorers, many whom belong to this forum, would charge $5k plus for a correct resto on a Tokheim36. Paint materials, chrome, and labor alone are a good $2,500. $2,000 to $2,500 for a solid original and $5k plus for a professional restoration is an appropriate range. That's not to say that a deal can't be had in an auction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As with anything you have to have a buyer with cash. That wants that item. A person can only give what the market will stand in that area. I will say this if you buy a 36b and try and restore it and resell it to make a little extra cash good luck After all the costs. The shape of the pump and if its complete are a huge part of buying one and putting a value on it.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron,

Charles actually brings up a good point. If it is station lighter, it will be worth a little more, as they are a little more rare.

If you're unsure, look for a square hole at the top and it may have a name plate at the top that says "Stationlighter." If this is the case, make sure you ask him if he has the valuable top stationlighter portion to complete your pump.

Good luck,
Steve B.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved