Next Thread
Print Thread
#668907 Thu Oct 13 2016 04:27 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I have a Wayne 70 Texaco Fire Chief pump that I am getting ready to paint. What is the paint code for the Texaco Red and does the cast iron base get painted the same color as the pump? Also does any have an original picture of a Fire Chief pump so I will know what signs were on it and where they were located. Some of the holes on the doors and sides don't look right.
Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sign placement was really up to the distributor and local ordinances. When you study Texaco station from this period you will see Wayne 70s with Firechief signs placed in the center of the door and the lead sign on the side, and then in others pictures you see pump plates placed below the lead sign on the door. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Did they have the lead signs on all four sides? Mine has holes in it as if it did. What color does the cast iron base get painted? I have read where some were black. I just wondered if the base was a silver or the same red as the pump. I am restoring this pump to hopefully look like it was originally. I am going to use an additive in the paint to make it look faded and not shiny. Thanks for any help.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bases were typically black, but the paint was applied sloppily. It might have started out black and over the years of repaints it ended up the color of the pump.

J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I think I will use a satin or flat black for the base to keep the old look. Are there any pictures of a Texaco Wayne 70 anywhere? Maybe that would show me if there were lead signs on all four sides. This is the first pump I have restored so I am learning. Thanks again for any help.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you Google "Wayne 70 Texaco" you will come up with some images of what you are looking for.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The lead signs were not on all four sides. They were on the doors before the mid 40s and the sides after. I do not know the exact year they switched.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
I know these aren't the pump you are looking for, but they are original and could give you an idea on the placement of the signs and the color of the base. The Wayne 70's I saw on google were restored and had the signs in different locations.
I just threw the Sky Chiefs in for the heck of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Original picture. I am guessing the picture is around late 40s or early 50s because of the Willys wagon and the lead signs are on the sides of the pumps.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have pictures of my Wayne 70s on my work computer and won't be at work for a few days. I will send you a PM with my cell number and can text you some pictures. The bases were supposed to be painted black per Texaco's standards. I forgot when I did mine.

As far as no lead signs. I believe it was federal law prior to WW2 that they had to be on the front of the pump. See Husky Bob's Wayne 60. Later hey we're allowed to be on the side. Texaco had standards for how far down below the computer face the pump plates were supposed to be.

At one time Texaco had inspectors they went around and checked up on signage and cleanliness and general maintenance. It dependent if you were a lease holder or independent dealer. Texaco would take away a franchise if people didn't maintain the standards. By the same token, people would tell Texaco to "stick it their ear" if they didn't like it and switch brands.

I have read some old books from a long ago Texaco agent here in Butte and it had standards for things like broken down vehicles on the lot that "damaged" the brand's image, etc.

My Wayne 70s came from two different stations and each had the no lead on the side and the pump plates the exact same distance down.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Another thing you might try is looking at one of the best threads on OG.. "Great Old Pics"........ you should be able to find all kinds of Texaco Wayne 70's on there.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229104#Post229104

J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
My pump has four holes that match up with the lead sign perfectly on the faces and sides. I am guessing that the lead signs were on the front in the beginning and were later moved to the sides by the Texaco distributer. I wonder if it would look right to put lead signs on all four sides or weld up the holes on the front and back before I paint the pump and just put the lead signs on the sides. Thanks for all the help.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Color code for Texaco Red, PPG# 70008 and 70184. Many will say use the globe or signs to match the color. While that works well, I also like to have a reference number as a place to start or check myself. Enjoy your project!

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved