Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey Oldgas. My Sister has a pair of gas street lights that are made out of brass and cast iron. She was going to use them as courtyard wall lights but now is doing something different. She is interested in selling them but asked me if I had any idea on value. I told her I didn't but would see if anyone on this site might know. The lights are each 29" tall, 14" at their widest, and the base is a 6" square. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marshall

Lamp pair 4 resize.jpg Lamp single 1 resize.jpg Lamp open top 3 resize.jpg Lamp open top 2 resize.jpg

Always looking for more Derby, Vickers, KanOTex, & Elreco gasoline & oil items!
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Anyone have any input on these street lights?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They are lovely.

The listings on e-bay seem high for lights not as nice but with a pole. Has she talked to any decorators?

Last edited by Nicole; Sat Oct 15 2016 03:35 PM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I restore several street lights and convert the gas type to electric. I usually buy lights similar to those for $100.00-$150.00 each

D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks for your input. I know she wants more than 100-150 for them.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm sorry to rain on the OP's post, but I don't want to see an Oldgasser buy these thinking their vintage. Although I think these are sweet and I even tried to buy them from the OP. But there is reason to believe these are not vintage at all.

This is the same lamp (but on a post). Seller says made new and from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271486236762

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those do look like the same lights. I don't think Marshall was saying they were vintage, at least he didn't say so in his post.They are antique style lights. If they are new and sell for $1,100 with the pole on ebay I would think just the lights would be worth at least what poleman suggested, vintage or not. I imagine they are imported but they must be pretty good quality to be worth the ebay asking price....GB

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Gary I agree and Marshall was completely cordial and helpful as I tried to buy these from his sister. We just couldn't come to terms. And I am not in any way implying that Marshall was being deceitful. I just wanted to point out to others what I found out about them. That from what it seems, they are not antique nor vintage. They look fantastic and there is some value there no doubt. That's all.

Steve Coppens
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Look like cast and copper, not brass. They are more victorian style but are more basic base than traditional.

Retail suggested price is likely $800-1200 each, however realistic pricing on used would be $100-200 maximum. I see stuff like this in the local Habitat stores for $69-89 in similar condition. The hard part is that normally several of these would be purchased for a piece of property, but with so many styles out on the market it's hard to find matched pairs, which increase the price if you plan on simply putting up a pair. Beyond that it becomes nearly improbably that you'll find a matching lamp unless you can ID the MFG and they are still in business.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wasn't thinking you had any bad intentions with your post Steve. I would think she could sell them if advertised locally and your post gives some basis for value too. They would look good on a driveway entrance or something like that. I've planned to build brick gate columns and install an entrance gate to our house since we built but it's been 12 years that I have been going to do that so i didn't think I needed parts for that project laying around until I finally got to it.....GB

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
LOL. How many of us buy something for future projects that never come to fruition?

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Its funny, because if I had bought them, they likely would have sat around a long time until I got to what I had planned for them too. Which was like what you said Gary, both sides of the drive entrance.
To be honest, no matter the age, I love the style of them.

Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Oct 17 2016 04:31 PM.

Steve Coppens
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
As Gary stated I know nothing about the lights with the exception that my Sister purchased them about 13-15 years ago when living in Arizona. They are both very heavy but I could not find any manufacturers markings on them at all in the castings. Thanks for everyone's input.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved