Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#666292 Wed Sep 14 2016 08:53 AM
L
LynnB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am new to the forum. I am getting ready to build a workshop that will hopefully look like a 1940's Sinclair station. I don't want to go nuts on the signage, but would like just a few AUTHENTIC period pieces. I have a really nice (nice to someone who can restore them... relative word, I know) set of Alemite cabinets and work bench that came from a Sinclair station in Springfield MO.

So, I am looking at signs etc. on ebay. Notice a huge cache from sellers either from India, or having them shipped from India. Having a hard time believing there is such a glut of real, signs, almost all with bullet holes and rust, in India.

Asked an ebay seller about this one: Sinclair sign on ebay

Seller is -trashcollector2016.

When I asked him if it was authentic, his only response was; "if i get it certified will you buy it from me?"

That is a huge red flag for me. I must ASSUME there are crooked guys out there that will "certify" whatever you want for a fee?

Am I correct? I am new to signage, and gas stuff, but seasoned in the muscle car scene, where the MAJORITY of "original real deal" cars are made up with fake trim tags, faked engine stamps and even fake docs, like window stickers, dealer purchase docs etc.

LynnB #666294 Wed Sep 14 2016 08:57 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Be afraid!! Be very afraid!
Just kidding of course. But yes, you have to be careful. If I'm not sure, I don't buy anything without first vetting it here on Oldgas.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=664999#Post664999

Last edited by Steve C.; Wed Sep 14 2016 08:57 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
LynnB #666320 Wed Sep 14 2016 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lynn, Welcome to Oldgas. As Steve said be VERY wary about signs coming out of India. The list of eBay sellers on the link is ever growing, so do not assume it is complete. Check the sellers completed listings, if the seller has sold multiples of the same sign that screams repop. Good luck in your quest!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
LynnB #666321 Wed Sep 14 2016 02:21 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I personally would avoid ANYTHING out of India.....furthermore, why fund these jokers taking our hobby down the tubes with their reproductions?
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Sinclair sign you asked Trashcollector about is trash.

LynnB #667130 Fri Sep 23 2016 06:49 AM
Like Steve Said, gotta run it by other members or buy from someone you can really trust either dealer or auctioneer

Check out our sales at Live.AntiqueAdvertising.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved