Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
miles1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
just got an old pan-am double sided sign with wax paper stuck to both faces which has baked on over time. Have tried goo-gone and slow soaking meguiars # 7(non-silicon) wax to no avail. Im thinking slow soaking or saturation could be the solution but Ive got slight rust in corners I don't want to encourage. Anybody ever deal w one of these? thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I bought a flanged maid rite tire sign with wax paper on it. Tried it all and laid it in water for some time and the paint lifted and rubbed off. I wont buy another sign that has wax paper baked on. Be patient and go slow. It may work.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Post pic ,if it's a early lacquer painted sign usually want come off much,if it's baked enamel some cleaners may help remember you want to take off wax parriphin. soaking in water can be like battery acid.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
HEAT. If its wax paper, nothing else will do anything. Its going to be an up hill battle. If you will get a big red eraser, like the ones used for sketching, that may help with rubbing the paper off.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i used wd40 and it worked well

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
On other items that have wax on them you want to remove, one can lay a paper sack on top and run a warm iron over that to melt and absorb the wax (wax absorbs into the paper). I would try that on a small area. Might take several applications of fresh paper, but I can't see mild heat hurting the paint. I have done this to get wax out of carpet and it has a lower melting point than paint.

Jeff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved