Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#660516 Mon Jul 11 2016 10:36 AM
Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We have a new asphalt driveway and when we noticed a low spot that water puddles in we were offered to cut out that section in a large triangle across the base of the driveway and repave that section. My question: Is it better to leave a low spot or to have a seam?

Thanks!

J
J
My first question is how big is it and does it move or appear to heave when you drive across it, if it does, you have too much loose material in the subgrade and your gonna have an issue, if its holding water for a short time and has good sunlight where it can evaporate and seems solid when driving across it I'd leave it alone, if its holding for days or longer it will eventually do exactly as you suspect, I'm assuming its a 3 inch pad, if its thicker its less likely, if you dont want a patch and dont mind sweeping that water off you may want that option, it will always look like a patch. I think getting a reason why its low is the bigger question, and then just decide the less aggravating solution.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Was this a whole new driveway or did they pave over an existing driveway? If new, they didn't prep the roadbed right or whomever was working the paving didn't notice less material being laid down in the area.

The problem with repairing spots with a triangle is if the finishing of the area isn't done well you will notice the difference both visually and when driving over it (high vs low spots). They can possibly spray sealant over and match the driveway, much like someone repairing a patch in a wall would feather in a repair and paint match the repair with a larger segment of the wall. That should limit any visual issue. Not signing off on a repair until it satisfies you should help with the other. If you drive over the area and it's no longer smooth and you can feel transitions up or down they haven't done the job right.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for letting me know...

It is a new driveway--that area was to be slightly lower to drain off to the right (the left section is doing it's job) but the edges are higher, so it doesn't completely run off into the ditch there. Just a depression...less than an inch depth of water* gets left. So the water that hasn't run off to the left, sits there, and eventually evaporates, leaving a slightly dusty dirt colored patch.

I was initially worried about ice in winter but that didn't turn out too bad.

If water sitting there won't make it worse in the long run, I'd just as soon leave it. But if cutting out and redoing is better in the long run, then I need to ask them to do it.

It sounds like you all think better to leave it be than replace the area.

Nicole
p.s. *I thought I had photos that showed the puddle, but realize it's on Bob's computer that has been temporarily disassembled.

Last edited by Nicole; Mon Jul 11 2016 07:06 PM.
Nichole,
Im an asphalt guy. Im assuming the grade of your new driveway was running slightly downhill into a garage or something and the contractor was attempting to get the water to run from a high side to a low side across the width of the pavement by shaping a swell. Im assuming the "triangle" they suggested cutting would start at a point at the high side, cutting 2 straight lines across the pavement, creating a wide area at the low side, then demoing existing asphalt and replacing with new. I would do my best NOT to demo and replace. The patch area will be most likely done by hand and give potential settling problems as time goes on. A sealer will NOT fill the existing low area. The contractor could apply a tack coat (asphalt glue) to the low area, bring in a little hot mix asphalt, and fill the low area by hand and compact. A good lute man will remove the larger aggregate, leaving mostly the fines in the repair area and can feather the overlay patch nicely.

J
J
I'd think less than an inch isnt going to cause you any problems, I agree there are acceptable ways to patch it, but at the end of the day those cold joints pose a bigger risk than a small amount of standing water.

Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jason, Carolinaskies and Bcr2037,

Thanks! I really appreciate all the info you folks have shared--This site has really great people on it willing to share their experience.

I'm already seeing grass growing in the seams in the road itself (a shared road in a small development) so I can see where any seams would be a problem. I like the idea of a patch...

I guess what I really need to know is if standing water in the low spot will cause issues with freezing/thawing eventually causing a pot hole. If not, I'd rather leave it be than have someone patch it but do a bad job that I would regret.

So I think I will leave it. And if it does create a pothole down the road, hire someone to patch it in mid summer...

Maybe I can even get the asphalt company to do me a write up saying they will patch it if that happens. Well, I'll ask anyway... laugh

Thanks again. I feel a lot better about it...

Nichole,
If the water is standing near the edge where the asphalt is a little higher, it is possible to heat that edge with a propane torch and tamp it down with a heavy metal narrow hand held tamp. I don't see any short term damage being caused by a little standing water, however it would be wise to broom it off especially in the winter. I realize those are specialty tools which most homeowners won't have, but you could request the contractor to try this relatively simple solution. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Bronson
864 871 2647

Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you! That might just solve the problem...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guarantee its gonna crack where they cut it. Unforunate it was not done to your satisfaction

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved