Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Hello Everyone.. Rob And Lou Ann here.. we're excited to have inherited a what seems to be a 1936 Wayne Cut 60 SN 3605 BD
We don't care about value just collectability.. So we have a couple of Questions..
1. Serial number 3605-BD Is this an early number or a carryover from a different series??
2 There is a Martin and Schwartz Faceplate.. Is it accurate for the make and model ??

We have all of the parts as far as we know minus a nut or bolt here and there. any advice or answers you may have will be well appreciated..
Thanks Rob and LouAnn

2016-06-05 20.30.40.jpg 2016-06-05 20.31.26.jpg
Last edited by Rob A Lou; Sun Jun 05 2016 05:33 PM. Reason: Adding pics and spell check
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you ☺ looking forward to some info on this Pump..

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Sorry I'm no pump expert, just saying welcome!! Great pump and nice add plate too!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your pump was made in 1936. Yes, its an early model. You own one of the most sought after computer type pumps ever made. The MS faceplate is NOT CORRECT for the pump, but a nice original Wayne faceplate can be purchased for around $60.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Steve C
I see you like Sunoco..Would you know If the blue and white "Blue Sunoco" Glass correct?

R
OP Offline
R
Good to know... Thank you very much for that. I BELIEVE YOU..
I just wonder if it's a freak due to M&S becoming part owner of Sunoco a year later ?? I can dream for a needle in a haystack Right?? Ha.. Original colors are Sunoco colors as well as Sunoco outline under old paint.Next layer is steel below that. Then it was painted cities services colors .. Is it possible that it's a 1 of a kind or As I STRONGLY believe is just replacement parts that fit?
Thanks for your knowledge

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Replacement parts that fit, I'm afraid. ANY face plate will bolt onto any of the computers from that era, as they all had the same bolt pattern. The trick comes in when you try to close the door or install the bezel and part of the face plate is in the way? I don't know how many face plates would successfully interchange between pumps, but there might be several?
"Back in the Day" a lot of the time, the local pump repair person used whatever parts he had that would work, instead of what was correct! Overnight parts wasn't invented yet--LOL!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
OP Offline
R
Yeah I figured as much on that.. Have a lot to look over on the pump but, I'm glad you took the time it's greatly appreciated.
Now it's time to search the forums and learn about these Wayne 60s..
Thanks KW .. R&L

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Rob & Lou Ann; look at the shop talk forum Showcase and Stories, Petroliana » Lets see your original 'patina' survivor pumps...you will see a couple of very nice un-restored Wayne 60 pumps, mine among them.
If you are in need of a panel cover over the pump, I have an extra I can let go for the shipping cost. Welcome to the forum, Vern

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to OldGas, Wayne 60's are great pumps, I have 4 myself

Braden Splichal

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By Rob A Lou
Would you know If the blue and white "Blue Sunoco" Glass correct?

Again, no super expert. But I can tell you that there where in fact white w/blue glass and that the white w/blue are earlier than the more common yellow w/blue.
If the pump is Sunoco colors under the colors we see in your pic, then I would be surprised if those plates are not original to that pump. Although, if the pump was ever rebranded to something like Cities, then why are the Sunoco plates still there. Hmm...??
Also, I have over 500 vintage Sunoco pictures. I bet there aren't 3 that show Wayne 60's. So I don't think there were very many Wayne 60's in original Sunoco.
And here is one shot, and in this you can see that the pumps themselves don't even reflect Sunoco branding. They may be blue and yellow but who knows.

Anyway, nice pump!! Have fun!!!

40's Wayne 60's-2.jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Jun 06 2016 01:33 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the input.. we don't know a lot about this pump.what we do know is that it was bought by our family in and around the 50s so it had at least 14 + years to be switched around poked and prodded.But has been in the family stored for 60 plus years.We believe now that the Computer was changed (No pump reading through the side inspection door We saw that the 36 years were not to the front yet, and it's an M&S Face)
It has two color layers before metal.. top is cities service scheme and below that Sunoco gold has been found around the pump
And steel below that or rust as well as the outlines left from the Sunoco stickers or paint... The White and Blue Sunoco ad glass is visible on one side and covered with green paint on the other but its there...
So we're assuming that we will need to find a computer to make original at least,
Is there any link or Avenue to find out production order or anything pertinent or is it lost in space and we have to guess by deduction ??
YOU GUYS AND GALS HAVE BEEN GREAT.. THANKS SO FAR,R&L
And Steve if we find this to be original you will have that pic of a Sunoco Wayne 60..

2016-06-06 08.52.45.jpg
Side panel paint layers

2016-06-06 08.52.06.jpg
Cities service side panel

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see that the faceplate on the side with the painted over ad glass, has 2 totalizer slots. This suggests that somewhere during its usage, your pump probably had some computer problems, and the local repairman (again) used what he had to repair it. Any of the 12 inch computers from that era would fit the pump. so he probably used what he had and installed a front type totalizer computer.
Your pump originally came with a side totalizer but a lot of these were changed out to front totalizers, depending on availability at time of service. The Wayne 70 used a front totalizer and the face plates & computers were all interchangeable.
You can contact Tom Buckles on this site or access his home page at http://Gaspumps.us , or Ryan Underthun at the pumpdump.com for used original parts.
One of those guys can help you get all original parts onto your pump!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you very much for this info I'm getting quite an education on this pump. When we start moving forward I'm sure all of your help will be utilized.. Thanks

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved