Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you combined all of GPH's machines, they would not be half the weight of the 1 pictured. Been there many times, Very impressive.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was at the Honda plant in Alabama two months ago. They had a HUGE press. It was the size of a house. When I watched it in use it was making the tailgate of the Honda Pilot. It stamped the steel four different times as it went from one end of the press to the other end. All fully automated.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That would have been cool to watch in action!

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The last place I worked had a 1400 TON, A 700ton, A 500, and smaller ones. Where I work today we have a 600 and 300, and smaller.
The first place did the roofs and doors for Western Star trucks, The place I work now, on the 600Ton , builds the grille sides, hood pull cover, crossmembers, etc for same trucks.

Generally it is done with series of dies without heat or annealing, but on deeper draws material might require annealing.. think welding cyinders or bathtub..

On the blank for say an inner doorskin there are holes, that get covered later. The size of the initial hole can make a huge difference on how the metal stretches..

Also to help under stand the process there is often an outer piece that holds the outer edge of the material as it is drawn, then trimmed off later.. just mentioning this may make it easier to understand.

At BMW in Munich they have 6 1500 tons in a row, and parts run thru all 6 without human touch! The dies are the size if a pickup box, and can weigh 7 -10 tons. These 6 presses were on the third floor!. But the presses are often equipped with as much hydrauliccs underneath as up top, so the 3 story working floor is the middle of the press and the loading area. The 1400 ton Kawasaki at the last place i worked was 28 ft above ground level and almost as much underneath!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dodo
What is your estimate weight of press pictured ?
db

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Probably at least 20 Tons, probably a lot more.. will try to find out tommorow. Big ones take Months to install..

If you could find the dies for the doors, most of the battle would be won..

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Probably closer to 100 tons than 20.. The Table that the dies bolt to in the 600 ton at work weighs 20 tons.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved