Next Thread
Print Thread
#642561 Sun Jan 03 2016 02:48 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
A couple years ago I won off Ebay some Sunoco posters that offered services but had blank space so the dealers could add their prices.The poster are as follows
Oil and Filter Change
Put on Snow Tires
Shock Absorber Special
Antifreeze Special
Does anybody have idea of what these prices would have been in the early 70's?I want to display the posters with my other Sunoco items of that time.I worked at a Sunoco during that time and 20 years later,of coarse my memory has been filled with later sales pricing.Thanks in advance for any help,Terry

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I once found a site on the web that gave prices for everything by year.Google prices "1950" go from there should bring the site up and you plug in the year you want.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
I have tried the price searches many times,I find the price of gas,milk and postage stamps.The best I can find is to use todays prices and use the inflation calculator backwards.I have looked at thousands of vintage pictures,enlarging the pic to see signs posted in the windows.I have been researching this for months.If I use the inflation calculator,I come up with these prices
Oil filter change $3.49
Put on Snow tires $2.29
Shock Absorbers Special 4 for $13.99
Antifreeze Special $1.99
These prices sound close,anybody have some different prices? I want to be accurate on this.Thanks Terry

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I took over an existing Shell station in 1972 the price of regular gas was $44.9 cents per gallon. Less than 30 days after becoming a Shell dealer a price war hit St. Louis. The price at the discounters hit $.29.9. I was making less than $.01 cents per gallon. I was out of business in less than a year later.

The 70s were not the time for anyone in the service station business to look at and remember with good memories.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Jan 05 2016 03:10 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved