Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#642349 Fri Jan 01 2016 11:58 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I recently purchased a disassembled G&B 906 basket case and have blasted, primed and painted the parts I have but want to put it together correctly. I purchased a parts manual on eBay from Vic's 66 which has helped with the basic frame and panels but I wonder if there is a more detailed manual available, especially in regards to fuel lines, electrical and long hose. Thanks for any help.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Basket cases can be a real pain in A$$, especially if you have not restored any pumps before, from reading between the lines I am guessing this is your first.
Other than the factory parts manual there is not any other references that I am aware of.
It has been my experience from selling original parts, basket case projects don't come with all the parts they started with, hence I get a lot of calls for the missing parts. Most of the time the assembly is self explanatory, you just have to sometimes think about the way it fits together. If you get stuck on something just ask.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
T
OP Offline
T
Done a Wayne 70, a short and tall Tokheim 39 and a G&B 96B but disassembled them myself and I took pictures but this one was just the pieces. I'm plundering along but some of the parts are side-to- side oriented and I hate taking the work back apart time after time. Just thought an easier way existed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just let me know if you need a picture of something, I have some of the pumps I could reference for you.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Here is a link to my 906 that I restored,it was complete less the pump.I can take some pics if needed.Terry http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=82166&Number=500413#Post500413

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Be a whole lot easier if you don't attempt to reinstall the pump mechanism inside, just the stuff that shows.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just buy another 906 for reference laugh

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Jan 05 2016 08:47 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
T
OP Offline
T
Pretty novel idea....must be the Mitchigan education !!!
Have a 72" Pure sign and 18' lollipop but pole needs sandblasting and painting. Probably about $3K when done. Pure is still an active brand in SE Alabama.

tbuckles #643394 Mon Jan 11 2016 05:11 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks. I've started and will get a pic of when I get stumped.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A couple of years ago we had a very knowledgeable person who would answer many of the questions such as you are posting.

His name was Dick Bennett.

While he could answer particular questions, he would also suggest you take pictures of anything you were taking apart.

If he were here with us today, he would suggest "don't purchase anything you don't know how to put together."

Don and I both sell parts manuals. These were printed by the pump company to help the person who was trying to repair the pump. These manuals were not printed by the pump companies thinking that 50-60 years later we would be taking this pump apart and restoring it. These manuals were for the repair person to identify the part that was broken/etc. then he could get the part number, then he could order the part.

Basically you are on your own if the manual you have doesn't help you. Since your pump is not a "hard to find" pump, maybe you should find another use it to reassemble both of them.

All of us on this site are here to help you if you have a particular question.

More pictures of your pump are posted on my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gb%20906.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #643674 Thu Jan 14 2016 08:43 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Sorry about your friend but I sought some help for my $50 purchase. $20 "parts manual" was somewhat helpful but lacks a lot. The manual has a part # for a common bolt but doesn't show the sight glass or housing. Seems this site may be more in tune with selling info vs. sharing knowledge (check your link0. For a
common pump info should be very plentiful as well. Lastly, to me, it seems sad that you & Dick share an attitude that suggests don't do anything without prior knowledge or knowing what the outcome will be or something to copy. People like yourself lack the initiative,curiousity, and confidence to venture, innovate, learn or invent. If you have that view, you may notice several vehicles in my photo, a 1953 Ford pickup basket case I assembled 15 years ago and a homemade street rod. Neither of which I had knowledge of assembly before I started nor a copy handy before I started them. In 1960 I joined the USMC, despite losing a brother in the Korean Conflict, not knowing what lay ahead. I served 10 years, was wounded in Vietnam and retired. Hopefully Dick didn't take all the knowledge with him maybe just the willingness to share it.

Online Cool
Tom,

While your past accomplishments are notable, you missed the concept that it is advisable to be nice to people when you are asking for help. Your statement, "People like yourself lack the initiative,curiousity, and confidence to venture, innovate, learn or invent." couldn't be further from reality. Tom B., Dick and Jack probably have had more old gas pump experience and knowledge than most any other 3 people in the petroliana hobby. You've gotten an offer to help answer your specific questions. Biting the hand that reaches out to help is not a good plan.

Originally Posted By Tom Williamson
Sorry about your friend but I sought some help for my $50 purchase. $20 "parts manual" was somewhat helpful but lacks a lot. The manual has a part # for a common bolt but doesn't show the sight glass or housing. Seems this site may be more in tune with selling info vs. sharing knowledge (check your link0. For a
common pump info should be very plentiful as well. Lastly, to me, it seems sad that you & Dick share an attitude that suggests don't do anything without prior knowledge or knowing what the outcome will be or something to copy. People like yourself lack the initiative,curiousity, and confidence to venture, innovate, learn or invent. If you have that view, you may notice several vehicles in my photo, a 1953 Ford pickup basket case I assembled 15 years ago and a homemade street rod. Neither of which I had knowledge of assembly before I started nor a copy handy before I started them. In 1960 I joined the USMC, despite losing a brother in the Korean Conflict, not knowing what lay ahead. I served 10 years, was wounded in Vietnam and retired. Hopefully Dick didn't take all the knowledge with him maybe just the willingness to share it.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom,

Of all the condescending, insulting posts I have read...

Jack gave you pragmatic 'free' advice for your problem. If you didn't like the advice you were given, didn't like the way it was given, or it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, instead acting like a jerk, wait and someone else would have chimed in or you could have rephrased your question.

And please tell me what part of Jack's "All of us on this site are here to help you if you have a particular question" made you so angry toward this site.

Insulting the most knowledgeable people in the field will not help your situation. If you are so innovative, why did you post a question on OLDGAS? Oh, yeah, you wanted to know where to get a manual for your pump. Well you just insulted the man with the largest collection of pump manuals out there.

It is clear you do not know these men, nor will you ever know the many men (and some women) with the knowledge to help you with that kind of attitude.

Oldgas #643896 Fri Jan 15 2016 06:43 PM
T
OP Offline
T
You were the guy who wrote me about a dead man having knowledge which he cannot share, being dead and all. I have had offers to help me and I responded that I would send pics and ask when I get stumped. I have a business where I work on other folks' street rods and have been busy and done very little on this pump. If you know what a "basket" case is you should know I could not take pics as it was all apart when I bought it. Your link sends me to a site where you are selling parts manuals and if you read my original post I already bought one from Vic's 66, so that was no help. And I received the idea of buying a second pump previously. Thanks for the help and hope your hand is OK.

Nicole #643899 Fri Jan 15 2016 06:58 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Not sure his "advice" was free as his link was to a site where he sells manuals, one of which I had already purchased as I stated in my first post. And it makes little difference if he has manuals that I have no use for. Telling me about a dead friend and his knowledge has no effect on those of us left on this planet and the idea of being another pump is about as valuable as buying a finished pump if you want one. And, yes, anyone with the idea that I can't do something without knowing before hand of how to do it. is an insult to me. If you or Mr. Sim don't like my approach, find someone who you like. There have been offers to help and the idea that they offered is appreciated. I have a business and don't devote much time to my personal projects but when I hit a wall I'll ask or improvise. Remember no one knows how smart a man is until he shares what he knows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved