Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#641440 Tue Dec 22 2015 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
On top of all my other Medical woes; I now can add Type 2 Diabetes. I will see my GP on the 28th so he can prescribe a med that I will take twice a day (atleast no needles for now)...

I am wondering if others on Oldgas have this disease? And if so; can anyone direct me to website(s) that gives actual useful information on diabetes (I want to get an idea of what questions I should ask Dr. Randle about where I am at right now, with the disease? I hope that makes sense)

Also, can anyone recommend any diabetes cookbooks that actually have decent meal ideas in them?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I too have it, was diagnosed about two years ago at age 45. it baffles me and seems so confusing on trying to regulate it. I am on metformin, which for me makes me tired and causes me digestion problems. I am trying to find some natural alternatives.
some things to keep in mind is to try and stay away from white bread and white rice as these will spike your sugar. limit pasta as well. we switched to brown rice and brown bread, but I don't eat a lot of bread. Also fruit juice even though it says no sugar added, still will spike your sugar, better to eat whole fruit as it has the fibre and breaks down slowly so as not to spike your sugar. watch carbs and eat more protein.as for cook books, I don't have any but I know they are out there as well as lots of good recipes on the web. I never really was much of a sweets eater, but now I crave it sometimes lol. If your sugar spikes, I find going for a brisk walk will bring it back down. my trouble is , I need to lose some weight and hopefully that will help as I hate the pills and don't want the needles. i have been switching to more natural foods and vegetables, trying to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. The doctor may be able to send you to a diabetes clinic and they are suppose to help educate on what to eat and how to control it. I am after my doctor to send me to one. My doctor likes to push pills, has a pill for everything. I am trying to find a new doctor.

Last edited by shawn; Tue Dec 22 2015 12:02 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might read "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD. It presents some interesting data about wheat consumption and a host of ailments...one of which is diabetes. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Bob, couple other things, ask the dr about counting carbs. I am still trying to get on to this.
also, not sure if you have such a thing in the USA, I would think you do, but the Canadian diabetes association has a website with some good info on it. It may help you some?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you Shawn! I hope you get a referral to your local diabetes clinic.

I did visit the American Diabetes Assoc. site and bookmarked it...

Dave, I will checkout the book. Thank you!

Thank you both for your help and suggestions!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Last edited by shawn; Tue Dec 22 2015 02:09 PM.
Hope you get the help you need to keep it under control.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good luck Bob. Keep us posted. Have a good holidays. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
It's not hard,learn to eat healthy.Lose weight.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By intagas
It's not hard,learn to eat healthy.Lose weight.

hmmm yeah so so easy

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Never said it was,but what's the alternative.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Damn Bob! I know your dealing with quite a bit. Just what you needed huh? Something else to deal with! Well keep digging and praying, it's all anyone can do. Oh, and collecting grin

Good luck and God's blessings!!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob I started limiting my self to only chocolate bars that are from the 70s and you would not believe the difference it has made on my sugar intake. I have cut out about 80% of the processed sugar and feel a heck of a lot better. I just have me some beef and maybe a pear and a head of cauliflower.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hang tough and get educated Bob. Luckily I don't personally have the affliction but have several close friends that do and they have learned to live with it pretty well, for the most part with diet and oral meds along with the dreaded exercise! My wife is a fitness fanatic so that is her answer to everything but I have to admit that it does more good than most people realize. I have been able to control my bp with regular walking and really notice when I start slacking. Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it all out and get along fine....Gary.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
it's not all about weight, my niece has type 2 diabetes real bad, and she is very skinny. I am very active, but have a thyroid condition that makes it hard to keep the weight off. it's a viscious circle. high blood pressure runs in my family, and studies have shown that some of the blood pressure meds can cause complication of diabetes. read as much as you can about the different foods that will help or hurt you. it's amazing some of the foods that think are ok but actually spike blood sugar. I was amazed with white rice, never would have thought of that.

Last edited by shawn; Wed Dec 23 2015 11:15 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved