Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Before I start, let me acknowledge that I am neither a sign or a globe person, I don't have any of either of them.

I would also like to state the Morph organization did a very good job with their estimates.

I just looked at the results of all 800 lots and here is what I observed:

Signs were really hot but that is what most expected because Kyle specialized in signs. Globes were strong but nothing like the signs. Not a lot of interest in the gas and air pumps, mostly selling for average prices.

Early on in the auction 13 signs were sold for $191,255 for an average of $14,711 per sign.

Lots 301 to 313 (13 globes) sold for an average of $11,442 per globe.

Lots 346 to 352 (7 signs) sold for an average of $19,357 each.

Lost 382 to 388 (7 signs) sold for an average of $14,642 each.

Lost 498 to 503 (6 signs) sold for an average of $13,275 each.

Lots 558 to around 600 sold for about what the estimates were.

Lots 612 to 628 (17 items) sold for mostly below the high estimates.

Lots 628 to 645, globes were strong in or above the high estimates.

Lots 646 to 709 (64 items) almost all sold at below the high estimates.

The "AIR" globes were really hot, both selling way over the high estimate. Lot 794 Air globe was for the mid-1920s ECOs.

Anything with the word "Michelin" was hot.

If you wanted to be able to say you purchased something from the great Moore collection, Lot 527 & 623 both sold for $75.00.

Question: Again I am not a sign or a globe person, but there was many globes and signs where they mentioned "repainted" "touch-up" etc. Here on OG I read where many of you will not buy these items if they are not original. So...what are your comments on the many items that were repainted or touched-up?

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Oct 05 2015 11:44 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
All I can say is these novice eyes will remember this one for a long time. Couldn't believe the kind of money that gets thrown around on this stuff!!! It was a thrill to watch.

I can't speak for the big dollar stuff, but two strange stand outs for me on the smaller scale pieces were these. A grand + premium for a $275 skychief sign. And $1800+ for 15" Texaco sign. Nuts!! Don't these people know about ebay??

It seemed anything with a tire or an Indian on it was hot.

Screen Shot 10-06-15 at 04.55 AM 001.JPG Screen Shot 10-06-15 at 04.55 AM.JPG
Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Oct 06 2015 03:41 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would agree Dan did a great job on the estimates. The auction also went well, from an online bidders perspective (i used Morphy/Hibid interface and had no problems). It seemd to me that many more of the globes exceeded estimates than the signs did. The graphic/picture globes were very strong! Not that the graphic/picture signs were weak of course:). I was also impressed by what some of the early tin signs did. Just an amazing collection of quality and rarity. Can't wait for the next auctions.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, the one item that stood out as a real buy that made me wish I were there was the four compartment Imperial Car Bar oil dispenser for only $1000! Are you kidding me? I guess since I have an interest in those and just purchased three of the double head dispensers to restore that this was amazing to see that a restored example complete with the top enclosure and globe holder only brought that much. The other thing, regarding the repainted globes, was that that didn't seem to matter much on what they brought. Scott has always said that the repainting of the OPE globes was an acceptable practice and this sale seemed to prove that out. I can't speak for much else as I am definitely not a sign guy and wasn't there to see them up close and determine which ones had been retouched and those that were left alone. It was an interesting sale to watch, I only bid on one globe and had it not been for the buyers premium and shipping that went on top, would have probably tried a little harder to buy. Like all auctions, this morning I wish I'd tried a little harder.......GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Estimates mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING....

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Tue Oct 06 2015 08:59 AM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i thought most of the pumps went low... a lot of them didnt even go for what the restoration would cost on them

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This was probably one of the coolest globes I've seen. Can't be more than one or two in existence.

image.jpg

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would have to go back to the book and look at the pumps but it would have been interesting if there was an original that was not restored to see what it would have brought.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the fry pumps were a good example of restored vs unrestored...

fry pumps.jpg

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Just plain a lot of money, no matter who you are. I wonder though on the touched up signs if anyone bought them unknowing. Unless you were there tough to tell.

Craig
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Not having watched the auction It appears that Dan did a good job of pointing out the restored signs. Yes I have a couple high end restored signs and am very happy to have them. I would not be able to afford these signs in unrestored condition. The year prior to the "big recession" restored signs were selling for almost what unrestored ones were. When I sold my sold my collection at Iowa 5 years ago the restored signs took a big
s..t however I'm seeing these signs coming back today and, yes, selling for great prices. There are 90% of us that just can't pay the prices these rare signs are going for

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well I bought the sky chief pump plate. I have asked for a year about this pump plate and haven't been able to find one. This is one of the 8"x12" that I was missing. I wasn't able to attend the auction but had a person bidding for me up there and I didn't put this on my list so I decided to bid online. First I saved $1200 on the flight alone to attend the auction. I set prices I wanted to pay on certain pieces and I came in on one a $1000 below my high bid. I decided that I had been looking for this pump plate for a while and this was my chance. If anyone has any other 8"x12" pump plates lawns me a PM I pay CRAZY prices for them.
Thank you
Chad Duncan

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Chad, there is always at least two people bidding to get the price where it went. Just enjoy your sign and don't let any comments here bother you. Someone is always going to have an opinion, many of them negative

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL; An honest man! LOL

Congrats on winning an item you wanted, Chad!

I watched about 100 lots and the prices got "my blood up", I will admit. grin

I didn't want my pacer/defibrillator to go off, so I closed the link... wink

Congrats to any and all that took home a prize or more than one prize....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By cig31
Well I bought the sky chief pump plate. I have asked for a year about this pump plate and haven't been able to find one. This is one of the 8"x12"

That's my bad!!! I didn't notice it was the smaller size. I meant no harm!!! Absolutely enjoy the sign!!! It looks to be a very mint example!! And if you have the other sizes like it sounds like you do, this will look awesome having the entire set of sizes!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved