Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56818 Fri Oct 01 2004 10:03 AM
T-way Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Everyone:

Has anyone else noticed the increase in high-priced 'lubesters' on e-bay lately?

There's one on there now listed as a lubester that is actually a kerosene dispenser that has a 'Buy it Now' price of $1,100.00! This one is done up as a TEXACO unit.

Then there is another lubester done in Polly colors with lighted shelving and that's been converted to work as a lamp (with a shade on top and everything) that has a 'Buy it Now' price of $950.00.

I realize that the knowledge Petrolania collector won't pay these prices - but do you think the prices of lubesters will increase as more collectors enter the hobby? Or do you think they will remain around the current levels do to the adaquate supply of the units.

Oil cans have taken off. Even the larger sizes. Oil bottles have always been collectable and commanded some steep prices. But those got broken a lot so the supply is limited.

Pipe up and let your opinion be known.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#56819 Fri Oct 01 2004 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim...I just sold alubester at the seabash for $95.00..it only had a quicky rattle can resto but I thought it was a fair price. I picked it up unrestored for $25.00. As far as them going up in value?...dont know...I may be kicking myself for selling it so cheap in a couple years...LOL

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#56820 Fri Oct 01 2004 09:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I picked up a really nice one for $40.00 at the Sprigfield, MO swapmeet. It has the original casters under it, measuring stick and extremely straight and rust free. I feel happy with the purchase. I know where around 10 of them lay in the woods extremely rusted out etc, If anyone needs parts theres nothing fancy but maybe something savable.

Joey

#56821 Fri Oct 01 2004 09:27 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I can't see them going up in value too much. I guess ones that are lamps or shelves, etc have a lot of work and that might bring a premium... not a grand though!
There are SOOOOO many of them out there, they are too common to be worth money. In addition to that, they are mostly the same. How many does a petro guy want in his collection? Maybe one to go with a pump display? Contrast that with the 100's of pumps available and in such shorter supply. I know there are 20+ pumps on my list... but only one lubster. (one with glass) I'll pick one of those up the next time I see one cheap, after that no more lubesters. I will always be looking for more pumps though.

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#56822 Sun Oct 03 2004 04:45 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
the lubesters i cut out and make displays out of i have almost $400 in sandblasting, primer,paint,signs,decals,glass and mirrors in. i sell them for a $1000 and i've done 6 of them this year.all were sold before i built them.i have the double tokheim glass top lubesters that i would ask at least $2000 for when painted.dupont is not bashful about asking $75 a pint for their paint.it adds up fast

MILT
GASALLEY
#56823 Mon Oct 04 2004 05:34 AM
T-way Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Gas Alley:

Were the 6 1K lubsters you sold going to petrolania collectors? Or to people on the fringes of the hobby like theme restaurants or car hobby guys?

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that a petrolaina collector would pay a grand for a lubester - no matter how nice it was done up. There's just too many of them available.

I do understand about the costs of paint and supplies. I routinely pay over $100/quart for color at 'Painter's Supply' - and that doesn't include the catalyst, the reducer or the clear.

------------------------

Elvis:

I only wnated 'one' too. But the more I looked at them, the more I discovered that there were various types of lubesters/dispensers. I have a few now waiting for restoration and most of them are different. The one version I DON'T have is a glass cylinder one. I'm still looking for one of those in a price range I think is fair.

I have two lubesters painted and finsihed, three lubesters of different 'sizes/types' waiting for me to get to them, two kerosene dispensers completed and one waiting to be done. And I still want a glass cylinder lubester and at least one multiple head unit. I don't care if it's a two pump or a three pump unit.

I will paint each one to match a different pump 'brand' as I finish the pumps. They're easy to re-do and you can paint them right along with your pump.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

#56824 Mon Oct 04 2004 06:26 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hey Gas Alley, can you post a picture of your "display" lubester. I'm always looking for a unique way to display things and sounds like you have a cool idea. I would like to see some of the details of how you went about finishing the thing.

To answer the question posed, Im always amazed at the prices people are asking for restored pumps, air meters, etc. To me, half the fun in having in old pump or any old piece of equipment is the restoration of it. But there are many people out there with a pocket full of money and a do it for me attitude. Are these type of people collectors or are they buying this stuff just for nostalgia or the novelty of it?

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

[This message has been edited by PLUM_72 (edited 10-04-2004).]

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
#56825 Mon Oct 04 2004 07:06 AM
One of Milt's "showcase" lubesters is in our Gas Pump Image Album under Other Pumps, Lubesters . The album is just starting out and growing with images posted on Shop Talk and those sent in by enthusiasts.
Another one is on the Oldgas.com main page . Just below the group of images on the upper left, click on the tiny "down" arrow to see additional images. Put your mouse cursor over the Phillips 66 lubester and a pop up larger image will appear. (The image effect is done with dynamic html and may not work on older computers)
I have a pretty good idea of the amount of work and materials Milt has in these lubesters. The price is reasonable in my opinion. I saw him selling one to a gas pump collector at the Columbia, Mo. swap meet.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#56826 Mon Oct 04 2004 05:16 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
yes i will admit the lubesters have been going to museums and some hot rodders,but i was just trying to state about the one on ebay for sale the guy may have alot of money and time in building it.there is a lot of difference in quality from low buck to high dollar.its all what the individual wants.i know if anyone has ever opened up the side of a lubester cleaned it up and taken all the bracing out of it you will know its a dirty rotten job

MILT
GASALLEY
#56827 Mon Oct 04 2004 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Gas Alley,
I'd rather clean a dirty oil dispencer, than change a dirty DIAPER on a crying kid!!!!!! ANYTIME
LMAO

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-04-2004).]

#56828 Tue Oct 05 2004 04:28 PM
Hubba--I'm the guy who bought the lubester at seabash, it was a very fair price and, once again, thanks.

------------------

#56829 Thu Oct 07 2004 07:07 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Let me weigh in on the lubster business....I just returned from a meet in Bakersfield, Ca, (13th Ann Hotrod Reunion). I had a space there with pumps and lubsters. I sold a 'showcase' lubster for 675 and got an order for another one. This was a common lubster, 35 gal. that I put 1/4" glass in front panel and on both sides, with a access door on the left side. I had two adjustable shelves inside with small lights inside. The inside bottom shelf was polished aluminum and not adjustable. The top of the 'showcase' was the normal crank handle and cylinder. The top was painted black and the bottom was red basecoat/clearcoat, It turned out really nice and I will have one at every show I do. So as far as 1K on Ebay, I think that is pretty high, but the 600-800 range in right on,,,,just my 2 cents.....Warren

#56830 Thu Oct 07 2004 07:31 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Good on you Warren, and the other guy doing the showcases.

Some of the other have diecut hole shape plus adglass, plus sign = more work/price.

You are getting paid for your work/creativity look at it as a hundred dollar lubester with a 700 or 900 dollar makeover! The whole custom scene depends on such creativity to not get stagnant. Thats why people like the stuff. You guys are the lead dogs thats why your scenery is changing.

These buyer, some of them look at it, realize they may never get it done themselves and in the end it will cost them near that anyway..so they buy it!

I have an idea I would like to try on visible pumps like a complete new approch and I think it will sell, people get tired of pumps being done the same old, same old way! After 80 years I think a change would be a great alternative.. enough said , I guess I should get-r-done!!

#56831 Thu Oct 07 2004 07:34 AM
C
C
I'm with Warren.
Especially here in California. Having been attempting to restore my own lubester recently I know what it costs here to strip, sand, dip tank, clean, cut, buff, shine and buy the signs, paint, etc. to do one up. Plus all of the timing running around to get the work done. That's a fair price, especially if you don't have to pay to have it shipped (as in, can pick it up at a show). Unless you're in the restoration business and set up to do it in house, I believe that you guys that invest the time materials and trouble to do the work deserve to get whatever the market will bear.
I know that we amature restorers like to think that we can save money by doing it ourselves, but that's just what you tell your wife. The reality is that you guys that do it for a living do a better job and in the end we probably spend as much money for something that doesn't turn out as well.
So Warren let me know where you're going to be in California next time and I will come see you about a lubester. ccraggfamily@aol.com .

The Poor Man's Petrolania Museum
Solvang, CA
#56832 Thu Oct 07 2004 07:46 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
EVERY petro collector needs to own at least one lubester!
its just one of those must have things. i remember some years ago guys would tote them all over & couldnt give them away for 10-15 bucks.

ive seen alot of "SHARP LOOKING" lubesters posted here on oldgas!

i just had a FRY lubester with a gauge on the side or atleast the gauge was a FRY!?
they will continue to climb in price like everything else!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved