Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#609628 Tue Apr 21 2015 06:40 PM
B
bhalula Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi I am looking for help with identifying an old spout opener. I some how collected all my quart cans top opened with the same style opener. I recently purchased a few full cans that I want to add to my collection but want to empty. Im trying to keep all the openings the same but I am having trouble finding the right spout opener. Could any one tell me by the photos I am attaching what brand or style opener has this hole with the parallel sides and the round front. I have been looking at openers on ebay which nothing seems close. I don't think this could really be a hard opener to find as I have a collection of about 15 cans with the same exact hole that where all purchased at different times. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_4500.JPG IMG_4501.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Punching holes in the top of cans was about the most common practice of opening quart cans back in the day. For collectors with collector cans, it is not recommended. What you should do i lightly punch 2 holes in the bottom(with a hammer driver screw driver or something) and drain it that way. It will reduce the impact on can value, especially if it has an interesting top.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Spouts can damage the side of a can,i always use a church key.Looks original.

B
bhalula Offline OP
OP Offline
B
thanks for the info/help guys

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What "they" said is quite correct. Not advised.
But to actually answer your question.
This is the type that made that hole.
Can be found at Flea Markets and garage sales for a 25¢.

Chuck

oil can spout.jpg oil can spout1.jpg
Last edited by Gaspedler; Thu Apr 23 2015 02:46 PM. Reason: add photo
B
bhalula Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Chuck, thanks for the info/help. That looks to be the spout opener I was looking for. I did buy one already and it creates a smaller kinda tapered shape opening. I opened a junk full can I got as part of a deal buying a group of cans. I really wanted to open my full cans to match the ones I already have. The previous guys who replied had me thinking maybe I should go the route of just putting the small holes in the bottom. But after thinking about it I rather just keep my collection uniform and as for value of the cans I will probably never sell the ones I have but you never know. The pictures you posted for me looks like the one I am looking for. Looking further on ebay I have found a couple looking similar to yours. One is a plews and one is unbranded made in japan. There is alot of these on ebay but most of them dont show a detailed pic of the actual can piercing part. Maybe Im being alittle weird about this and putting too much thought into it. Haha but thanks again for the info/help and posting pics.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
PM sent.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There were hundreds of different versions of oil can openers in a lot of different sizes. Keep looking you'll find one.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved