Print Thread
#608083 Sat Apr 11 2015 09:26 PM
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I would like to remove the porcelain socket from the aluminum outer "shell." I removed the screw at the back of the porcelain socket, but the socket did not release from the "shell." I want to install new wires to the socket. Or, is the aluminum shell and socket one unit that screwed onto the end of the conduit and the socket won't separate from the shell?
Joe

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
The knurled ring around the end should unscrew from the aluminum cup. If you straighten it out some, you may be able to get it to unscrew. then you can get the socket out.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
That is a three piece lampholder, an outer shell, a porcelain lamp socket and an inner shell. the threaded parts are usually"frozen" together.I have used an electric heat gun to free up cranky parts. Not a torch but a heat gun and a pair of gloves. Good luck, Norm.

Norm Huff
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I soaked the entire unit in Evapo-Rust and after a couple of hours, I was able to unscrew the knurled ring and remove the porcelain socket. I ran new electrical wires and illuminated a Fry Model 87 for the first time in probably decades. It was not easy getting the wire fishing tape through the rusted conduit or pulling the wires through rusted conduit, but I prevailed. Thank you all for the help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does anyone manufacture this or a similar piece today ? Thanks, Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved