Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: ninjarobert Self-Quiz for Identifying Fakes (Grade me!) - Thu Jan 28 2016 10:12 PM
As a noob, I find it extremely helpful to have reference photos. Wanted to confirm these were not original before posting images to the gallery here. Hope I pass the quiz!

eBay Seller ID: gmjer777

To my untrained eye:
- Mohawk Gasoline : hair and face lack detail
- Indian Gasoline : The letters for "Gasoline" look too curvy. The horizontal line in G doesn't exist.
- Sunset Gasoline : Exact same sign is on Amazon and sites that sell reproductions.
- Mobiloil Gargoyle : First, it says licensed on the bottom right-- reproduction? Second, has 4 holes instead of 6. Third, letters (especially tilde) don't look the same as the one posted here.
- Harley Motor Oil (round) - Missing two holes at 3 and 9 o'clock. Text in Cycles missing fine serifs. (Plus he's sold several in the past)
- American Gasoline : Couldn't find a reference for a legit sign, but looks identical to labeled reproductions. Plus, isn't this pre-1930's? Wouldn't it be fairly rare?
- Indian Oil Sign (shaped like can) - Can't find any example of this sign except for on ebay. The one I've seen is just white and dark red.
Harley Oil Sign (shaped like can) - No idea. Going with fake based on other signs and the crazy bright orange rust...

How'd I do?
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Self-Quiz for Identifying Fakes (Grade me!) - Thu Jan 28 2016 10:57 PM
Size on the Mobiloil sign is a big factor in easily identifying an original vs. the repros.
Darin
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Self-Quiz for Identifying Fakes (Grade me!) - Fri Jan 29 2016 02:54 AM
The "Harley" and "Indian" signs you listed are fantasy items , period. No originals of any of the 3 ever.
Posted By: ninjarobert Re: Self-Quiz for Identifying Fakes (Grade me!) - Fri Jan 29 2016 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By DWSheffer
Size on the Mobiloil sign is a big factor in easily identifying an original vs. the repros.
Darin

The height is 12" based on the ruler next to it.
Posted By: ninjarobert Re: Self-Quiz for Identifying Fakes (Grade me!) - Fri Jan 29 2016 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By MetroPetro
The "Harley" and "Indian" signs you listed are fantasy items , period. No originals of any of the 3 ever.

Good to know. Thanks.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk