Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Rabbitman Display room construction progress - Tue Mar 10 2015 10:57 PM
I have finally gotten started on my shop remodel to add some display area and more storage to the shop. I have changed my mind about a hundred times on exactly what I want so it continues to be a work in progress as I slowly try to design as I go. I thought I would post some pics as it progresses so here are the beginning stages and where I have gotten so far. I am struggling with where to put electrical outlets and whether or not to build in permanent shelving but I think I have a good start. I'll try to post progress pics as it goes along. Comments and ideas are always welcome......GB

Attached picture 101_1336.JPG
Attached picture 101_1339.JPG
Attached picture 101_1343.JPG
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: Display room construction progress - Wed Mar 11 2015 02:07 AM
When I put in my electrical outlets I put a 4 plug box about 5 ft up and another down low. You can never have enough plugs.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Thu Mar 19 2015 10:53 PM
Got the stairs built to the new upstairs storage area.Still have to build the railing for the stairs. Got all the wiring ran and the interior walls covered today. Paint will come next for the walls and floor before I install the globe shelves, etc. Coming along pretty good after I figured out where I wanted everything to go. Seems to be getting smaller as I go, never enough space!...GB

Attached picture 101_1345.JPG
Attached picture 101_1348.JPG
Posted By: Derbygasman Re: Display room construction progress - Fri Mar 20 2015 02:26 AM
Looking good.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Display room construction progress - Fri Mar 20 2015 02:44 AM
Agreed!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Display room construction progress - Fri Mar 20 2015 03:49 AM
Agreed also looks good. keep going
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Display room construction progress - Fri Mar 20 2015 07:47 AM
That looks really great Gary , clean and organized as well! Awesome job.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Display room construction progress - Mon Mar 23 2015 05:30 AM
Nice!!! I agree, no matter how large you make...at some point you will out grow it.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Display room construction progress - Mon Mar 23 2015 06:31 AM
Looks great, nice you'll be able to seperate your finished pumps from your work area.
Posted By: signgurl27 Re: Display room construction progress - Mon Mar 23 2015 08:33 AM
Wow that's going to be amazing sir
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Mon Mar 30 2015 09:30 PM
Well, I noticed I hadn't posted any updates on my room for over a week. I made some progress but still a ways to go. The ceiling was a little bit of a challenge as I wanted it as high as possible so I put the suspended tiles right up next to the floor joists which made it a little tedious to install but did make the cutouts around the can lights a lot easier. I installed all led can lighting and replaced all of the old halogen can lights on the original side with the leds also. The entire room now burns less than 250 watts for twenty lights and the lighting is better to boot. That is less wattage than three of the old halogens! Some new technology isn't half bad. I am now working on the outside of the room on the upstairs decking and finishing the stairs. After that I will move back inside and build globe shelves and epoxy the floor. I sure wish I had Mick's super floor guy down here! Stay tuned for more progress reports....GB

Attached picture 101_1353.JPG
Attached picture 101_1354.JPG
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Display room construction progress - Tue Mar 31 2015 07:06 AM
Looks great Gary .
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Display room construction progress - Tue Mar 31 2015 11:13 AM
Shaping up real nice. Lots of good display space.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Tue Aug 11 2015 07:58 PM
I had to go back and hunt for this thread I started way back when as I thought I should be posting progress in one place instead of a different post each time I accomplish something. I have been slooowww getting much done on it this summer due to too many fishing trips and vacations but I feel like I'm finally over the hump with the completion of the floor tile. At least now i can begin to move some big things back in that have been setting in the way out in the main shop all summer. The only major project left is the construction of the globe shelves in the corner of the room. I was going to do that first but decided it might be better to finish the floor first and then install the shelves in case I wanted to build them all the way to the floor. I have since decided that I will build them to attach to the wall and leave clear space under the lower shelf for large cans and other taller things that would best be setting on the floor instead of a shelf. Besides, it would make me nervous to have globes setting on the bottom shelf without protection where one might get kicked or bumped into by mistake. I still have the shelving upstairs to finish but it is just a matter of putting the sheeting on the framework that I have done already and finish the surround railing. This area will give me a lot of new extra storage space....not always a good thing! I may have posted a couple of these pictures before over the last month or two in the daily thread but I'm adding them here to sort of document the start to finish sequence on the build.

Attached picture 101_1356.JPG
Attached picture 101_1366.JPG
Attached picture 101_1365.JPG
Posted By: shawn Re: Display room construction progress - Tue Aug 11 2015 09:39 PM
looks great!!!
wish I had the room to do that
love the wood finished walls
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Display room construction progress - Wed Aug 12 2015 03:12 AM
Wow! Looks so good
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Display room construction progress - Wed Aug 12 2015 03:39 AM
Looks great ! You are going to have lots of eye candy, to keep everyone from spending most of their time admiring the floor!
Posted By: moore798 Re: Display room construction progress - Wed Aug 12 2015 12:28 PM
A well thought out plan coming together.Many years of enjoyment to come.
Posted By: Sarman47 Re: Display room construction progress - Fri Aug 14 2015 10:52 AM
Love it. Great job. Can't wait to see the eye candy in place.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Display room construction progress - Sat Aug 15 2015 03:30 PM
Looks awesome!!!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Display room construction progress - Sat Aug 15 2015 04:18 PM
Is that just osb board painted?
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 02:47 AM
Yes it's just painted osb John....it was a lot easier to put in than Sheetrock and you can put screws or nails anywhere to hang signs, etc...GB
Posted By: Derbygasman Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 02:50 AM
Lookin great Gary. Glad your back to making progress.
Posted By: Nicole Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 01:21 PM
Can you tape OSB so you don't see the seams like sheetrock?

The room looks very nice--the floor tops it off great!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 06:17 PM
I've never seen osb taped like Sheetrock, Nicole. I did fill the seams with paintable siliconized caulk before I painted it and it looks pretty good. The seams are stil there, but not as noticeable and the caulk lets the sheet expand and contract a little bit at the seam still. I wouldn't use it in a house but it works for the shop....GB
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 07:03 PM
Looks great, but you will need a bigger room, trust me.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By Craig Osbeck
Looks great, but you will need a bigger room, trust me.

I knew it wouldn't be big enough Craig but I talked myself into thinking that if I kept it small I would stop accumulating so much. That's not working either because the up stairs storage more than tripled my room to put more stuff and the new room is not even big enough to display all of the best things I wanted to put out. It's a losing proposition any way you slice it.....gb
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 16 2015 10:38 PM
I love what you're doing and enjoy seeing the progress.

A collector's display space never seems to be enough. I came to that realization myself. A space limit encourages the collector to tighten a specialty focus and pull out lesser items to make room for new additions.
Posted By: likeitall Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 23 2015 01:56 PM
what size is your new enclosed area?
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Aug 23 2015 11:51 PM
Size of the room is 16x30...
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Sat Sep 05 2015 04:18 PM
Well, I was going to wait until I was all finished but thought I would go ahead and post a couple of update pics since I got some pumps moved in and one set of globe shelves completed. I had planned on making the shelves on the end wall all Skelly and will probably do that when I figure out where I am going to shelve the rest of my globes. For now I wanted to get some of my best pieces up out of harms way and secure so I left the rest of the Skellys out in the shop or in boxes for now. I haven't started hanging signs yet, but that's next and then I will try to find a place for more globes. The globe selves were a design I came up with using 12V LED lamps and pvc rings. It made a really nice setup and very inexpensive compared to buying rings and sockets, etc., like we normally do. When I get time I think I will post a step by step tutorial of sorts showing exactly how I built them in case anybody would want to try building some themselves. I took pictures as I went so I could show pretty good detail of the process. It seems like I am on the downhill slide with this project.....finally!....GB

Attached picture 101_1412.JPG
Attached picture 101_1408.JPG
Attached picture 101_1409.JPG
Attached picture 101_1411.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: Display room construction progress - Sat Sep 05 2015 06:05 PM
Look'in goooooood!
Posted By: Derbygasman Re: Display room construction progress - Sat Sep 05 2015 06:23 PM
Time to expand....😏
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Sep 06 2015 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By Done4
Look'in goooooood!

Ditto!
Posted By: likeitall Re: Display room construction progress - Sun Sep 06 2015 01:40 AM
are those 1' x 1' black and white vinyl tiles on the floor?
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Display room construction progress - Mon Sep 07 2015 12:31 AM
Yes. 12"x12" vct tile.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk