Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Catauladave Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Wed Dec 19 2018 10:43 AM
Has anyone ever seen an original sign(porcelain or painted) that was produced for the Indian Motorcycle Company ? This company went out of business in the early 50's. The market is flooded with stuff now that is being marketed as "original", but I have not seen one item that is pre 1950's. Any info would be appreciated. Dave
Posted By: T-way Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Wed Dec 19 2018 02:50 PM
Factory new Indian motorcycles are sold today.

I think they're on their third or forth owners - but you can buy a new one today if you like.

There is an Indian dealer directly across from my HD dealer.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: mtrotnic Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Wed Dec 19 2018 02:57 PM
1930s neon porcelain and original

Attached picture 47786124_1_x.jpg
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Wed Dec 19 2018 08:44 PM
Seen a few in private collections. What you see for sale as you know is fakes. I wouldn't trust anything unless its proven to have been taken down from a dealer. Then their very pricey and don't come up for sale much.

Can't remember, your bike made during the years they used S&S motor or is it Victory or Polaris? I remember seeing one pic of it on here. Know Victory is Polaris but they were 1st built in victory factory at take over.
Reason I asked a friend had a dealer ship when they used S&S ,their 1st try at a comeback. Don't know if his signage was kept or was picked up and taken away. He still has a shop . Nothing wrong with S&S but they wouldn't

pay them to put them together just bought parts and didn't have success putting them together ,. Didn't have tolerances correct and didn't seal them up right (leakers)'

I'll ask him,but he wouldn't have anything from the era you are looking for.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Wed Dec 19 2018 09:40 PM
I was referring to signs made before the original plant closed in the early 50's, not Gilroys, Kings Mountain, or Polaris. There are a bunch of Indian signs out there now dated 1952 . lol
I appreciate you guys responding !
Merry Christmas,
Dave
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Mon Dec 24 2018 04:32 AM
This is one in Mike Wolfe's Nashville store. I can't prove it's real, but looks legit. And I have no idea what year it is from. Just basically showing you the pic I took smile

-Steve

Attached picture IMG_6062.JPG
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Mon Dec 24 2018 10:59 PM
What is he asking for it?
Posted By: Morgan Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Fri Jan 04 2019 12:48 AM
send you some info in PM
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Fri Jan 04 2019 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by Craig Osbeck
What is he asking for it?

Craig, I Never checked.

And it is from the 30's. I didn't notice that Mike put the year for the same exact sign. Good info Mike.

-Steve
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Original Indian Motorcyle(motocycle) signsN - Fri Jan 04 2019 01:47 PM
I have seen that sign previously. I appreciate your help ! Dave
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk