Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Progress on my garage - Tue Aug 14 2018 02:55 AM
Got the first panel of my garage ceiling up today. Doing the ceiling in metal barn siding and the walls in painted OSB. I've seen others do something similar and really liked how it turned out. Kinda tired of all the drywall finishing steps, so I'm changing things up.

Using a drywall jack and some 2x4 extensions to hold up the ceiling panels while I drive the screws. One step and done.

Attached picture IMG_20180813_142407.jpg
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Progress on my garage - Tue Aug 14 2018 03:48 AM
Lookin good Jim!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Progress on my garage - Tue Aug 14 2018 04:59 AM
Looks good Jim. I used osb to line the walls of my shop and really like it. You can put screws anywhere to hang signs or whatever. The drywall Jack is a good idea for putting up the metal. I still hate putting up ceilings though.....
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Progress on my garage - Tue Aug 14 2018 09:36 AM
Nice clean looking shop Jim . That is a good idea with the drywall jack for sure . Lots of work but it will be worth it . Our old shop house was white metal ceiling and osb painted walls , I loved it as it was nice and bright . Had about a foot of blow in cellulose insulation above the metal and it stayed cold in summers and warm in the winters very well.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Progress on my garage - Mon Oct 29 2018 03:49 AM
Got the walls, ceiling and insulation done. Got the new heater installed and air compressor back in operation. Now trying to reduce the amount of priceless stuff I have stashed in there. Because I specialize in saving things I don't use but may need someday.

Attached picture IMG_20181028_191810.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20181023_154556.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Progress on my garage - Mon Oct 29 2018 04:23 PM
Looking good Jim. I also know too much about saving stuff.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Progress on my garage - Mon Oct 29 2018 05:42 PM
Yup, warm and toasty, just in time for the cold weather. You do nice work Jim.

The saving stuff thing is in our human DNA.
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Progress on my garage - Tue Oct 30 2018 11:15 PM
The metal ceiling is a nice idea. I like the pedal car too smile
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Progress on my garage - Tue Oct 30 2018 11:22 PM
Lookin good Jim. Are you just going to leave the floor as is or....?
Posted By: Fueluser Re: Progress on my garage - Tue Oct 30 2018 11:35 PM
Jim, What size is your garage again? What brand (and size) electric heater did you decide on?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Progress on my garage - Wed Oct 31 2018 04:46 AM
Gary, I'm not doing anything to the floor aside from clean & sweep. This is a working garage, not a display place. I've got a nice family room display area for my collection. I'll have at least a dozen signs up on the walls, but the main purpose of the space will be working on stuff and staying out of sight of the boss.

John, The heater is a Fahrenheat FUH54, 240V 5000 watt, 30 amp electric service. Garage is 28 x 30 (10' ceiling) with R15 walls, R30 ceiling and insulated doors and windows. It really puts out some strong heat and it swivels to blow where I'm at. So far it warms the room up nice on mornings starting in the 30s F outside (50s inside) and the unit not left on at night. I'm not planning on keeping it going full time or spray painting when it's zero out. The local 100+ year old hardware store closed and I got this unit at a steep discount. It's available widely. Made for a garage with the elements enclosed in a heat exchanger. Easy for a handy guy to install and when it's off, it doesn't cost a dime.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Progress on my garage - Thu Nov 15 2018 06:11 PM
Almost finished with my woodworking corner. Everything looks like it's not level but it's just the angle of the camera. The woodworking bench is store-bought but modified to add in an old-school vice. Note the antique tools above the pegboard.

The heater has been working just fine on days when it's in the teens outside.

Attached picture IMG_20181115_114714.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Progress on my garage - Sun Nov 18 2018 04:21 AM
Time to make some saw dust Jim, looking good!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Progress on my garage - Sun Nov 18 2018 09:54 PM
Got the trim up around the west window and put up some low dollar body shop signs. Except that one PPG sign is pretty near priceless. wink Built a rolling workbench out of all salvage parts.

A new bulb, starter and connection cleanup have my local ice cream sign working again.

Attached picture IMG_20181118_153854.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Progress on my garage - Mon Nov 19 2018 05:33 PM
Have you run out of room yet?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk