Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gulfiend! Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Fri Jun 12 2015 04:07 PM
Posted By: blacktee Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Fri Jun 12 2015 04:13 PM
Nice work Wes...
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Fri Jun 12 2015 09:21 PM
sounds like a baby that takes his toys and runs if things don't go his way.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sat Jun 13 2015 10:18 AM
I don't do FB but I'll guess that....
1. Dealers/pickers prefer FB.
2. The people or friends of people who have had "official encounters" with the moderators on OG prefer FB.
3. Young people prefer FB.

4. People that collect to learn about and preserve history prefer OG.

5. Collectors that actively buy and sell to help support their collecting habit like both.
Posted By: moore798 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sat Jun 13 2015 11:37 AM
Bob,I believe you are spot on with your comments.There is no substitute for the vast knowledge within the OG community. grin
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sat Jun 13 2015 12:29 PM
I too fully agree with Bob's assessment.....
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sat Jun 13 2015 06:49 PM
OG is a repository of information that can be accessed pretty easy. FB sites are the McDonald's counter sales where the attendant and menu is constantly changing.

A fellow I know posted at Gulf sign for sale w/price. I posted some signs I'd trade him and the moderator had the audacity to complain I didn't post prices for what I was going to trade. And when I pointed out that they had no rules stating discussion posts had to be priced and we were talking trades I was not breaking any rules they didn't like it. Then the moderator changed the rules and deleted my post pointing out the flaw in their logic.

Personally I think FB is a terrible way to attempt to sell something because if the site has many people on it posting your for sale item might end up pages down. Whereas on OG it's simple and easy to scroll through the threads of what's for sale and know what's new pretty quick.
Posted By: s932 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sat Jun 13 2015 10:55 PM
I believe that both have there place in this hobby. I can honestly say that I have become very good friends with people from this site. So for that I will always be grateful. The knowledge that is here is no comparison to fb. Fb is about selling for the most part there are a few exceptions. The gasglobe and oil can page are great and have brought some good stuff out of the woodwork. Some on fb will disagree but there seems to be more drama and underhanded things going on. I have had several occasions when I have bought and sold that either I was contacted or the other person was and someone has tried to buy out from under me or offer me more money to sell to them. I will continue to use both as both have there place in this hobby
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 03:02 AM
The more I hear and see about farcebook , tweeter and instatird ,the further I want to crawl in my cave. As long as I can still get a internet signal for old gas , I will be good. I enjoy my oldgas time and the friends I have met thru here. Great sight and great people.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 11:41 AM
Both have their place . But I bet you get more help on almost any subject if you ask the question on old gas . Facebook is more for the picker , old gas is for the collector . The range of topics on old gas is across the spectrum . The range of topics on facebook , is this , "item for sale" . They are just 2 totally different venues .
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 11:43 AM
One more thing ......... The comment directed towards old guys. All my life I have respected and listened to "old people " . There is more knowledge by a country mile in the older community , if you don't learn this when you are young . You wont learn much in life in IMHO.
Posted By: moore798 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 12:06 PM
Thank you Dave,well put!
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 12:36 PM
I agree they both have their place in the hobby BUT facebook welcomes NEW guys with open arms while oldgas rejects them as threats or possible pickers! As a 10 year veteran member I have seen oldgas treat the new guys like ***** over and over again!
I was NEW 10 years ago and felt the same sting from members because I was selling alot of what I found. I learned real quick! I treated everyone fair and worked my butt off to find RARE stuff and prove my place in this hobby. 16 years full time and $1,000,000 in buys and sales and NEVER a problem for this picker/collector!
So a couple years ago I started pointing out the wrongdoings of veteran members towards the new guys in hopes things would change BUT they havent! They have gotten worse! I even sent Jim several examples and he said, Pickers arent liked on here??? WOW
I have all the respect in the world for oldgas and its members! That is why I tried to help with this huge problem, BUT instead I am the bad guy for pointing it out...
ONLY on oldgas is PICKER a cussword frown
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 01:16 PM
I look at Oldgas.com members as the knowledgeable people I'd most like to sit down with,talk,and have a drink or a meal with.
I too am on FB,and view many on Poser$ Who Are Weak,as ones that quietly read Oldgas daily,then glean what they've read and act like they always known about it on FBook while asking for your $.

Some of the replies there,are literally taken verbatim from other Oldgas.com members here...LOL.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 02:03 PM
I have had private message conversations with tomzcollectiblez about pickers and how they are perceived. It is a sad thing that just a few people can cloud the reputation of a whole group of people. We have had a few members who refer to themselves as pickers and have behaved badly. Offering repros for sale as originals, not delivering on items paid for, selling for a higher 3rd party offer after a deal is made with a buyer and asking triple high unrealistic prices. It is human nature to to be suspicious based on events you have experienced.

Not all pickers are the same. I personally feel that most pickers, Facebook users and Oldgas.com members are good and decent people. Only a small percentage of each group cause most of the problems. Not all older people are grouchy and dislike younger people. Not all younger people have a big ego and dislike older people.

I believe that if you are nice to people, most will be nice to you. On the other hand, if you play up the "us against them" scenario, it will drive people apart.

It is true that a few folks who got in trouble with moderators on Oldgas.com are now big players on Facebook. It is the way things go in life sometimes.

A while back, I told tomzcollectiblez that pickers are like used car salesmen. A few can give the whole group a bad reputation. I advised him to distance himself from the "picker" word and build his own separate reputation. He mistook that for me calling picker a cuss word. Oh well.
Posted By: richlube Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 02:29 PM
poor tommy
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Sun Jun 14 2015 11:10 PM
I have been trying to stay out of controversial topics lately, but would like to say this:
I am unbiased to either source. Both OG and FB have given me very good friends, great leads, and each have uncovered some fantastic 2 gallon cans for me. As far as Oldgas, as everyone says, the passion and information present here is tops. As far as FB, the ease of buying and selling because elf the ease of uploading pictures is great.

Both cites have their place and merit.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Mon Jun 15 2015 06:38 PM
...I guess this is a little OT - but in response to Jim and Tom's posts (and not directed at anyone in particular):

...I never understood why some dealers feel the need to refer to themselves as 'pickers', instead of dealers...possibly trying to trade on some of the 'glamour' from that %$#@ TV show? I can't figure it out...

...a guy posted on FB the other day, photos of a big lot of varied signs...quality signs from a number of unrelated companies, that must have been assembled by a collector...worth, in total, more than most make in a year - and he called it a 'pick' confused ...growing up, the only 'pickers' I knew of were few and far between, and spent their time 'beating the bushes', providing a service to the hobby by locating items long-hidden and/or unknown to collectors or dealers...has the term 'picker' been so misused that any purchase, qualifies as a 'pick'?
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Mon Jun 15 2015 06:52 PM
I went to my grocery store last week and "picked" 4 boxes of cereal for $2....grocery store was clueless.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Mon Jun 15 2015 08:13 PM
Bob (lastgas) is spot on.

The hobby has a place for both. I seen on Facebook guys saying oldgas is not friendly to the sellers? I guess people get worn out with what's this worth, what's that worth all the time. It became a place many come to due to a Google search.
This site was built originally for collectors to socialize and learn and sell some stuff sometimes.
Oldgas will still be the place for guys to come and learn and search for old post about something cool. It's been around a long time and collectors will keep it around.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Mon Jun 15 2015 09:08 PM
This topic is one Iv'e followed closely without giving an opinion but I will jump in the water. I will say this. I always hated facebook in general. Most of my family is on it ALL THE TIME which drove me nuts. I never understood the facination. The few times a year I logged in I always hated having a picture of what some person is having for dinner plastered across my screen or listen to someone bitching about someone or something that had nothing to do with me. I thought it would be something I would NEVER use.

Then a local buddy told me about all the sign groups & petro stuff on there. So I had to check it out. And what everyone is saying is pretty correct. There is alot to look at and fresh "stuff" is plentiful. There is a place in the hobby for both sites. If you want to sell/buy than that is the place to be because you see so much more on a real time basis. I think it's great for that aspect and I've bought and sold a few items on there with no issues. NOW, if you'd like to show off your "buys of the week" or discuss a recent find or ask an intelligent question about an item. There is no BETTER place than OG. I hate the thought that some people can imagine this site fading away as FB is the new trend in the hobby! It's apples and oranges.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Mon Jun 15 2015 10:28 PM
Maybe we here at OG should get with the times already.
So Eric,I can't stand my mailman and here's what I had for dinner tonight.

Attached picture dinner.jpg
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Tue Jun 16 2015 12:00 AM
lol..yummy. There ya go folks facebook!
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Tue Jun 16 2015 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
I went to my grocery store last week and "picked" 4 boxes of cereal for $2....grocery store was clueless.

Good one !
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Tue Jun 16 2015 02:40 AM
as long as the subject of food has come up, Wes' post on FB reminds me of walking in to a KFC and asking everyone there if they like chicken better than beef, or sports, ask someone from San Francisco who their favorite football team is. I mean the overwhelming response was a negative towards OG, just doesn't seem very surprising.......or necessary
Posted By: Nicole Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Tue Jun 16 2015 02:54 AM
Ok Cold Pizza, I gotta ask...What did your poor mailman do to you to make you hate him? shocked grin

I also have to thank Jim for putting together some guidelines for civility on this forum. When we sign up, it's his forum and his rules. And he doesn't make any corrections a public spectacle, and seems to do them quietly and privately.

As I tell Bob sometimes, if you don't like the dinner I cook, you are free to cook your own. It works for us and we each eat what we like, but still sit at the same table enjoying the company.

Good for Wes for cooking his own, and it sounds like, a great meal. But complaining about it, or trying to polarize the community (us vs. them) lacks grace. Life is way too short.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Tue Jun 16 2015 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Neil Gerrard
as long as the subject of food has come up, Wes' post on FB reminds me of walking in to a KFC and asking everyone there if they like chicken better than beef, or sports, ask someone from San Francisco who their favorite football team is. I mean the overwhelming response was a negative towards OG, just doesn't seem very surprising.......or necessary

Originally Posted By: Nicole

Good for Wes for cooking his own, and it sounds like, a great meal. But complaining about it, or trying to polarize the community (us vs. them) lacks grace. Life is way too short.

2 great post that pretty much sums it up, The biggest complainer tends to be the biggest troublemaker and the one that starts most of the drama.
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Tue Jun 16 2015 03:48 PM
IMO, Wes asked a "fair" question.

So, ...

1- Why so much "fuss"?
2- Why so "defensive"?

In America, we have choices ... Both have their place.

Let's go back to hunting. OG or FB!

Done!
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Wed Jun 17 2015 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys
IMO, Wes asked a "fair" question.

So, ...

1- Why so much "fuss"?
2- Why so "defensive"?

In America, we have choices ... Both have their place.

Let's go back to hunting. OG or FB!

Done!

It wasn't really a fair question as pointed out by Neil. Now if he had posted that question on BOTH sites, it would have been fair.

Why the fuss? That's a question you should ask Wes.

I don't know if it's the case with Wes but these discussions can almost always be traced back to someone that's been in trouble with the moderators. In such cases the intent isn't to poll those in the "hobby" on their preferences but to be divisive as has been pointed out already. THAT is why people get defensive.
Posted By: DCpate Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Thu Jun 18 2015 12:37 PM
I too find the use of "picking" on FB hilarious...

They also say "junking" a lot.

Overpaying for signs in established collections is hardly picking imho. I realize I sound like a crotchety Old Gasser but the real hunt is cruising the backroads, unhooking a pump from a farm, going underneath a bulk plant etc.

But yeah, both FB and Oldgas have their places... If you Oldgassers haven't checked it out, it's worth looking into the various petro groups. Lots of great signs and pumps pictured...
Posted By: It's for sale Re: Oldgassers on FB...ex- and current... - Thu Jun 18 2015 12:50 PM
There's a lot of nomenclature used by " younger" folks I don't understand. " picker" and Junking is supposed to be cool.
Sometimes I listen in on conversations and I don't have a clue
what they are saying. I hear the words but they don't make sense to me.
Probably what my parents said about my generation?
Facebook is a different planet , I'm not comfortable there ,
never signed up.
Many over there wouldn't like it here , different format.
I think it's great we have a choice , let's not ruin it.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk