Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 01:28 AM
Is this globe the only one or have others been seen.
Why did shell support the nazi group if there from the us.

I did read the description but still thought to inquire.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 01:51 AM
I do not have any info on the globe but the swastika symbol was not first used by Nazi Germany. If I recall, it was also a good luck symbol among other things before the Germans adopted it in probably the 1930s.
Posted By: Iowa99 Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 01:58 AM
The swastika has been used for thousands of years by many cultures for varying reasons, usually it represented good, not what it is thought of today. It was used to represent, life, the sun, strength, power, and good luck among other uses. Check it out on the web. It is mainly in modern times due to Hitler, it is related to hatred and evil.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 02:00 AM
John, do a little history on the Swastika... Before making totally bogus statements!

During WWI the American Army's 45th Division had a Swastika on their shoulder patch.

The Swastika has been used as a symbol in the Far East since before Christ...

Different American Indian Tribes used the Symbol since the 1800s...
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 02:00 AM
John,
The war caught a lot of foreign companies directly and indirectly collaborating with the new Nazi regime in Germany. The list is impressive: GM, Ford, Kodak amongst others as well as Royal Dutch Shell. It is said many of the German army's mobile transport units were built by GM's and Ford's subsidiaries and some of the planes too. While Shell's relationship with Germany is well known it wasn't that simple. My mother grew up during the war on the island of Curacao where the refinery which took Venezuela crude, refined it to oil and then sent it on to the Allies was owned by Shell. The ships transporting crude and oil were subject to U Boat attacks. Mom remembers some of those attacks although the people on the shore were safe from effective bombardment. Here is a link describing some of the foreign (to Germany) companies that were involved with Nazi Germany

http://www.ranknfile-ue.org/uen_nastybiz.html
Posted By: huskybob Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 03:14 AM
The swastika on the globe is facing the opposite way compared to the German swastika.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 03:46 PM
I thought the energina wording was used by BP but could be wrong i guess..
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 05:23 PM
Just to ring in on this...The Swastika is backwards and is a sign of good luck...The courthouse in Marietta,OH floor is covered in those... So it isn't a Nazi affiliation at all... IMO Marietta Courthouse
Posted By: advertologist Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Fri Mar 14 2014 05:25 PM
.. cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171268586757
Posted By: Jay Leeper Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 01:07 AM
Several companies used it before the Nazis gave it a bad name it's an ancient symbol. Troco used it, in Oklahoma it was an Indian peace sign, direction it faces doesn't make any difference. I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to have a warehouse full of these cans at the outbreak of the war.

Attached picture troco5_opt.jpg
Attached picture troco7_opt.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 02:19 AM
Early UNION OIL CO. Paper label for 5gal Sq can;

Attached picture B&W early.jpg
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 03:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Keystone Gas Man
Just to ring in on this...The Swastika is backwards and is a sign of good luck...The courthouse in Marietta,OH floor is covered in those... So it isn't a Nazi affiliation at all... IMO

Need all the luck you can get on court day! Sorry its late.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 11:13 AM
i'll be darned.....learn something everyday!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 01:19 PM
Jay that has to be a pretty uncommon can. I would imagine their stock of cans disappeared and were destroyed. Are they now deemed desirable? The color scheme is un-naturally close as well.
Posted By: Jay Leeper Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 01:34 PM
Didn't take them long to box it in to this logo. yes I doubt that many survived but as far as desirability goes I would sure take all I could find with the peace sign.

Attached picture troco1_opt.jpg
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Sun Mar 16 2014 03:54 PM
I have seen this logo on a few globes over the years, some foreign, some American. Correct on the logo in that it was a good luck symbol before the Nazis ruined the image, even though it is facing the other way. Scott B.
Posted By: Oregonjam Re: Argentinean shell globe with swastika - Tue Mar 18 2014 11:54 PM
Hey guys, just got back from hiking the Himalayas in Bhutan in the fall. It is a Buddhist nation. You will see the mark of the swastika facing the opposite direction as was used by the national social party in Germany of the 1930s and 40s. It is historically a symbol based on a cross representing the solstice and the equinox. It is used to represent prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist religions as well as Jainism in India. The swastika when repeated as a pattern makes a never ending cubist style knot. You will see it everywhere in many parts of the world from being integrated into clothing trim or creating the pattern for a carved decorative screen or hand railing. The symbol was used and unfortunately the meaning has been molested based on the Nazi parties usage.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
John Miller
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk